Fermenting Liberty Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been told that cream ale should be fermented about 65 degrees. However it's been fermenting for 1.5 weeks at 72 degrees. Is this too high for a cream ale? I also have plans to let it ferment for almost 4 weeks even if gravity readings tell me it's ready.

Any suggestions direction on this brew would be appreciated! It's Liberty Cream Ale from MidWest Supplies.

Thanks,
Lorne

The 65F is surely to discourage production of esters and other more flavorful yeast compounds. A cream ale generally has a very clean flavor profile, so you want to avoid yeast character. 72F won't be a disaster, depending on your yeast, though 65F probably would have been better. But you'll still make a good beer. It just might be a little fruitier than expected. Most of the flavor production occurs in the first few days of fermentation (indeed, most of the everything production does), so there isn't much point in trying to rein in the temperature now. With something relatively low-gravity like a cream ale, and fermented at 72F, it's likely essentially done fermenting now. But letting it sit for a few weeks will clean up the flavors a bit. Plus, the extra attenuation that higher-temperature fermentation encourages will be in line with cream ale.

Basically, don't worry about it now. But if you can, try to do a cooler fermentation next time.

Great feedback. Thanks. Let's hope it doesn't suck! haha

Should I use a wet towel to drop temps next time?

There's all kinds of ways to cool a beer even without real temperature control. Search on the forums for swamp cooler. My most extreme method involves a water-filled bucket, ice, towels, and an open window. Wish I had more space so I could do that right!

Back