Another stalled fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B

Reaction score
I’m brewing my second batch. The first batch went really well.

My second batch went even better. The problem is after one day of vigorous fermentation, it has pretty much stopped.

Looking back, I realized I didn’t aerate the wort aggressively before pitching the yeast.

If this is the cause? What is my best next step? I brewed three days ago. I Was t planning on using a secondary fermenter this batch, but I wonder if I should and then mix things up a bit on the transfer.

I’m still waiting to dry hop.

Any ideas are appreciated!

What was your recipe and OG?
What yeast did you pitch & at what temp?
How are you controlling ferm temp?
Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy?

I didn’t take a gravity reading. I didn’t want to open it up for too long.
My OG was pretty high- 1.070.
Let me grab some of the details off post them.

Ingredients:
3.3 lbs LME sparkling amber (briess)
3.3 lbs LME Pale
3.0 lbs DME golden light
8 oz honey malt speciality grain
8 oz caramel 40

Steeped grains 155-160 for 20 minutes
Brought 3.5 gallons to a boil
1oz simcoe pellets for 60
1oz cascade pellets for 45
1oz cascade pellets for 5

I used Bell’s liquid house ale yeast. I don’t know the details about it. Very healthy yeast you don’t need a starter with. Pitch it cold.

I pitched it with wort at 70 degrees. I had added two gallons of water. I failed to really stir it up good before pitching the yeast.

Fermenting in the primary. Last batch used a secondary (carboy). I was going to attempt this IPA fully in primary bucket.
This is is my basement right around 70 degrees, slightly cooler.

...also, the Krausen looks good. Slightly down based on debris on side of bucket. Still a good inch of Krausen on the top.

Back