Another Heady Topper style IPA with a single infusion mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
Finally doing another homebrew. And on this one I'm adding in the last Alchemist technique that I have yet to use: a single infusion mash. No step mash on this one.

20 lbs Pearl Malt (93.5%)
16 oz Caramalt (4.7%)
6 oz Acidulated Malt (1.8%)
40g Gypsum

Currently mashing at 147* for 60 minutes in 10 gallons water.

I plan to bring to a hot break and add 15 ml IBU injector for a 90 minute boil.

My hop mix is 20% CTZ, 20% Simcoe, 20% Nugget, 10% Belma, 10% Centennial, 10% Citra, and 10% El Dorado

2 oz @ 2 minutes
2 oz @ 45 minute 160* Aroma Steep

Plan to pitch Conan yeast at 0.43 concentration starting at 63* and raising to 68* over 5 days. 4 oz dry hop at 8 days. Secondary leaf dry hop of 1 oz each CTZ, Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra at 13 days.

40g of gypsum? That is a ton! Do you have incredibly alkaline water?
My water is pretty alkaline. I've done 35g of gypsum with 2% acidulated malt and the mash pH was 5.29. Even with 50g gypsum it would probably still be ~5.2. The real Heady Topper is using ~5g/gallon gypsum with reverse osmosis water in the mash to get a pH ~5.2.

Don't forget to prevent any air/oxygen exposure once fermentation starts. It kills hop sensation quickly.
Closed transfers, etc.

Don't forget to prevent any air/oxygen exposure once fermentation starts. It kills hop sensation quickly.
Closed transfers, etc.
I've got the Ssbrewtech Brew Bucket. I only open it to add dry hops, and I have a string on the bag so I can pull it out quickly and close it right back up. I've brewed a few batches that were actually better than the real Heady Topper. While I'm sure my oxygen content isn't as low as the Alchemist IMO getting the fermentation right is the most critical and difficult part (which is why I have a chest freezer for temperature control.) Getting the mash and boil right (pH, hardness, hop oil for IBUs, late addition/whirlpool hops) certainly makes a difference but that's easy. Another easy part that makes a huge difference as far as getting the hop flavor is dry hopping BIG with a mix that is over 50% dank hops.

I ended up with 6.5 gallons at 1.073 OG post-boil. Pitched ~200 billion cells of Conan yeast that was already active from a starter at 63*.

Back