An olde brewer returns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeltzer1

Reaction score
Hello. I’ve been absent from brewing for 20+ years. Soooo I’ve got some experience but wish to be treated as an FNG. Getting to do oatmeal stout. Confused about steep.
1. Oats. Do these go into a muslin bag and into 1 gal of boiling water first? Afterwards does the steeped bag of oat flakes come out, rinsed and discarded? I’m assuming it’s not poured into the mixture.
2. Crushed Malt. I have two bags of crushed malt. Pale Malt and Crushed Chocolate Barley and Crushed Biscuit. Do both of these go in the same bag? Again, afterwards are they rinsed and discarded?

I honestly have no idea about your questions, i do know oats will need to be steeped with some of the pale malt at ~150f.

Welcome!

(some mod will have to decide if this would be better in beginner brewing forum instead of here)

Hello. I’ve been absent from brewing for 20+ years. Soooo I’ve got some experience but wish to be treated as an FNG. Getting to do oatmeal stout. Confused about steep.
1. Oats. Do these go into a muslin bag and into 1 gal of boiling water first? Afterwards does the steeped bag of oat flakes come out, rinsed and discarded? I’m assuming it’s not poured into the mixture.
2. Crushed Malt. I have two bags of crushed malt. Pale Malt and Crushed Chocolate Barley and Crushed Biscuit. Do both of these go in the same bag? Again, afterwards are they rinsed and discarded?

Are you doing BIAB or a more traditional mash process with a MLT? In either case, I think I would put everything in together. Mash your malts with the oats. Oats by themselves don't have enough diastatic power to convert the starches very well; however, your pale malt should have plenty of diastatic power to do the work for the two of them. Some brewers do a cereal mash with your oats, which you could certainly do, but most of those steps are unnecessary, IMO, since the malts we have these days are so highly modified.

Back