An Acid or Base Solutions Concentration Dilution Calculator, Offering Two Methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Warning and Caution: This calculator is intended strictly for those sufficiently versed in Chemistry to handle it properly. Garbage in = Garbage out, so you must reliably understand and account for all of your inputs, as when playing with extremely dangerous solutions of acids or bases you assuredly can and even will get seriously hurt if you don't fully understand what you are doing. And you can't get where you want to go if you do not know where you are plus where you are going. Use all appropriate judgement and safety and PPE, and never add water to acid or base solutions.

Have you ever desired to (for example) dilute 85% Phosphoric Acid to achieve 30% or perhaps 10% Phosphoric Acid? This calculator can help. I believe its internal functioning to be correct, but as always, trust but verify. To this end I ask that those among us who are capable of checking my output for a given set of reliable inputs do so to verify that this spreadsheet is indeed sufficiently correct.

Download at the Google Drive link seen below (by pressing the "down arrow" seen next to the printer icon in the upper right hand corner) and then launch and run in Excel or LibreOffice Calc.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkuLogpBbMn9J9MAYFBdC5Wk61Vldd_i/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Method #2 also works for mmoles/mL to mmoles/mL dilution in addition to mEq's/mL to mEq's/mL dilution.

Last edited:
Well the math pretty much checks out with what you folks schooled me with a year or two ago - 40ml of 85% PA + 160 ml of RO -> 200ml of 25%.
Thanks for this!

Cheers!

I thought you might like to know 25% Phosphoric Acids relative "Acid Strength" at a few pertinent target pH's:

At 5.2 pH, mEq/mL = 2.94976
At 5.3 pH, mEq/mL = 2.95755
At 5.4 pH, mEq/mL = 2.96705
At 5.5 pH, mEq/mL = 2.97872
At 5.6 pH, mEq/mL = 2.99313

Phosphoric Acid, being a relatively stronger "weak acid", this means it's "acid strength" at given target pH's doesn't vary nearly as much as compared to much weaker "weak acids" such as Lactic Acid.

Latest posts

Back