What to do between the brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CooperBrew

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum and all the fine information available I starting brewing about 2 weeks ago. I just transferred my first batch of American Amber Ale (extract kit) to the secondary so that I could brew another batch, Kolsch, this time. Since I had a few days off work I decided that I really needed to brew an Irish Stout as well.
So 2-1/2 weeks into this hobby I have 3 brews in the works. I know it's a bit much so soon but it's fun! Now what do I do for the next few weeks beside read the forums? What else should a newbie be doing during this "waiting period"?

I don't get to brew as often as I like (I average once a month or so) but I'm always scheming my next batch. I usually try to plan two or three batches into the future. I only have room in my freezer to ferment one beer at a time, so I have to plan carefully so I always have an ample supply of drinkable beer.

So, to answer your question: Start coming up with your next brew!

You clean and buy more carboys, then brew beers that take some time to become better like stouts or Wee Heavy. Then throw a party/BBQ.

Buy a few cases of craft beer @ Costco to drink while you are waiting and provide needed bottles. :mug:

Think about other equipment to buy, design recipes, go find commercial beer you've never tried before for new inspiration, start looking into the all-grain process to give that a shot some day, look into temperature controlled fermentation chambers and how to build one, buy some hops to grow, combining hobbies is always a great thing.

The worst part for you, is that you are right at the beginning. You don't have any fruits of your labor to enjoy between brews. As others have said here though, you might want to start thinking of what to brew next, running out of beer is the worst part of brewing. My first brew weekend, I brewed an Amber Ale kit on Saturday and a Witbier kit on Sunday, the next Saturday, I brewed a Porter kit, so in my mind, you are just keeping on schedule, no need to think you are brewing too much.

Latest posts

Back