Wyeast 2112 New vs Reused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantrellc

Reaction score
I recently brewed an eleven gallon batch of a vienna lagerish type beer using wyeast 2112 as I have used it before and enjoy it. My LHBS only had one packet left so I used the slurry I had collected from the secondary of an earlier similar beer in half of the batch and new in the other half. When I collected it I used a pint mason jar that I had boiled in water for 20 min then I swirled the slurry in the carboy and went straight to the jar (no washing) and stored in fridge. It had been in the fridge for 1 month when pitched and had no off smells or anything seemed good to go. So I fermented in my temp. controlled freezer for two weeks at 60 degrees, the reused took about 8 to 12 hrs longer to start airlock activity. OG was 1.062 (higher than expected) at two weeks I was at 1.020 new yeast and 1.024 reused, transferred to secondary and noticed the reused sample had a bite to it the new didn't. Today after nine days in the secondary I sampled again preparing to start cold crashing and the new yeast batch is very good and much smoother than the one with the used yeast which still has that bite, new yeast gravity is now 1.012 and reused is 1.014, so my question is should I start cold crashing to get it of this yeast and try to cold condition those off flavors out in the keg or leave it on the yeast longer to try and let it clean it up. Thanks in advance for any advice.:mug:

Back