Triple Decoction With Stovetop Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natelindner

Reaction score
Hi all,

I like to do all grain brews but have not yet built or bought the equipment needed for doing large batches. I also am pretty new to brewing so I'm trying to see what recipes I like before making such large batches. For these reasons I do 1.5 gallon batches and I do my mash in a pot on the stove. My question is this: Since I'm applying direct heat to my mash, can I just change the temperature of the stove over the course of the mash to get the appropriate rests?

Also, how important is decoction mashing? I want to make a bock and I'm wondering if I just do a single infusion if it will come out any worse.

Thanks!

Applying direct heat to a mash is exactly how you do step mashes.

Decoctions are about maximizing the maillard reactions by boiling parts of the mash. Totally unnecessary, lots of extra work, but tons of fun, very traditional, and I do think they make for a higher efficiency, better beer. The more you get to play with your wort, the better IMO.

Everyone has their own opinion about whether decoctions are worth it. Some people think they provide a distinct flavor, but some people don't taste it at all.

You can certainly provide direct heat and step mash that way. You can make a very fermentable wort and make a solid bock.

If you want to decoct instead, just use a long spoon/ladle to scoop out some of the thick mash (mostly grain with some wort, not mostly wort with a little grain). Use a separate pan to boil that before adding it back to the main mash.

Back