Stabilize & backsweeten at the same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
Would it be best to add metabisulfate and sorbate to a batch of Skeeter Pee at the same time that I add the sugar for backsweetening, or should I stabiize, wait, then backsweeten? Or could I go with either option as convenient?

Stabilize first, when clear and no lees are present. Wait three days, and then sweeten. Wait three days and then bottle.

It might be "oversafe" but prevents bottle bombs 100%, so it's worth it!

hate to HJ, but hoping you can help yooper ;), if I am going to keg my SP, would you still need to wait those 3 days? I have my skeeter pee already cleared, I just need to backsweeten and then I want to carb it in my new kegerator :D, would I still need to wait the 3 days after backsweetening before I put it in the keg?

thanks yooper

hate to HJ, but hoping you can help yooper ;), if I am going to keg my SP, would you still need to wait those 3 days? I have my skeeter pee already cleared, I just need to backsweeten and then I want to carb it in my new kegerator :D, would I still need to wait the 3 days after backsweetening before I put it in the keg?

thanks yooper

The idea of waiting is to ensure fermentation won't restart and that the stabilization worked with the sorbate. You don't have to wait, as the keg won't explode, but if it's still fermenting it will gradually go dry on you.

The idea of waiting is to ensure fermentation won't restart and that the stabilization worked with the sorbate. You don't have to wait, as the keg won't explode, but if it's still fermenting it will gradually go dry on you.

ok, that sounds great...its done fermenting now, actually been done for some time, just finally getting around to taking care of my brews :D

Back