How do you sample sour brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrooze

Reaction score
I've got a couple sours going and would like to taste them to see how they're doing. I nory use my "wine" thief for this on non-sour brews, but with these I'm worried I'll infect my thief and then contaminate my other brews.

How do you all take samples? Do you have a separate thief for sours? Btw, my sours are in carboys. Thanks!

pretty much have different equipment for sours and non-sours to be safe. I made one sour and used my turkey baster and auto siphon and had no cross contamination at all but on the safe side get an extra set of sampling equipment and label as sour so you dont get confused

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I'll be picking up another thief at some point... :)

Maybe you could get one of those huge pixy~sticks that are filled with pure sugar, cut both ends and use you thumb to plug one side to take samples. It's the first thought that popped into my head.

418pOKHz3LL._SX_.jpg

Latest posts

Back