Do heatsticks come apart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
Tried unscrewing the nut, but the chrome drainpipe just bends because the jbweld bond is too strong. The Chrome pipe costs more than the element I am trying to replace.

Depend on how it's built - I suspect not since you used JB Weld.

I think I am gonna look at some type of threaded stainless pipe setup after I build another cheap one.

Anyone think the JBweld will give with a pry bar or should I just look at a gasket type solution in the future?

Will MPT leak? If I go from Tr-clover 90 reduced to 1" male pipe thread tapererd will the threads leak? Is that why elements use NPS?

Elements use NPS because they seal with a washer. NPT are designed to seal on the threads. Use PTFE tape and if it leaks, try a bit of pipe dope that is rated for use with potable water.

Should Consider Construction Materials & Hardware Componet Materials That Come Into Contact With Your End Product, Should Be Beer-Contact Material Only.

Not sure about grounding lug placement. That can be connected at the top of the pipe outside of the brewpot or would it be better in the submerged part?

Some heat will soften JB Weld and allow for removal / replacement of the element. Either a heat gun or careful torch application will soften epoxies like JB Weld.

No harm in trying. Don't think a heat gun is going to get a big chunk of metal to 600°F though.

Back