(SOLVED) problems with funnels not staying in carboys for solo transfers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decoleur

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While trying to use a big two mesh filter on wort going into my primary fermentor I had issues with the 10" funnel not staying put. I just couldn't trust it to not tip over, again. I tried wrapping the junction between funnel and carboy with multiple layers of aluminum foil which sort of worked.

Then I got a new 1" ID blow-off tube that was too long, and cut 6" off of it. I tried putting the funnel into the short tube and found that I could get it to go in over an inch when it was warm and I could stick the other end into the carboy with no problem.

There is a finite distance that the funnel can be pushed into the blow off tube and if you have too much tube outside the carboy the funnel moves around. Too much tube in the carboy might not be fun to pull out. It turns out that you only need it to be 3-4" long to stabilize the funnel hands free.

Hope this helps!
-t

Oh, nice! I'd been wondering about this myself - it's been a nervous proposition trying to pour sanitary wort into a potentially moving target. Great idea.

I super glued my hose to the funnel. I used dairy milk line quality hose to make sure Star San will not degrade it. I also insert a piece of u-shaped copper wire into the neck of the carboy to make sure air comes out around the funnel, instead of through it as I fill.

Flars-

Good idea about the copper. I found out recently the raised ribs on the funnel are meant to provide air flow. My wort is going through a double mesh strainer before the funnel which slows it down quite a bit and so i haven't run into problems, yet.

-t
Do you know if it is rated for pressure or heat?

Flars,

Sorry, I was asking about pressure or heat for the dairy tubing and how does,the price compare with our other options?

Any will work but they might be too big to go into the opening of a carboy so I would recommend adding a 4" section of blow-off hose for the really big ones. Heat it by running it under hot water from the faucet and you should be able to jam an inch or more onto the funnel.

I use a 10" one like (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/10-funnel.html) with a piece of blow-off hose that I cut off from the tube sold by NB

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blowoff-hose-3-5-foot-section.html

this is sturdy enough that i can put my double-mesh stainless strainer onto the funnel and have it just sit there. without the 4" tube the funnel would fall over.

If you don't need the whole blow-off hose call your on-line supplier or your local shop might be able to take care of you.

keep in mind that you might need to put a tube in it to allow air to come out. I use the flexible tube that came with my racking kit and just put it in a ways and have it hanging over the side.

hope this helps,

-t

Back