Mash efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumsboa09

Reaction score
Is it possible that carafa 2 de-husked could lower my mash efficiency?

Yes...
So could a butt load of other factors.
But in general i believe that darker malts lower pH which in turn hurts conversion and efficiency...
What does your recipe/gravity readings look like?

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Yes...
So could a butt load of other factors.
But in general i believe that darker malts lower pH which in turn hurts conversion and efficiency...
What does your recipe/gravity readings look like?

I brewed a black ipa with carafa 2 accounting for 7.5% of the bill. Predicted OG at 70% efficiency was supposed to be at 1.075 but I hit 1.065. Way off. Weird this was I brewed a double ipa and was only 3 points off two weeks ago, same equipment and technique.

Say 2 Lbs. Of black patent with I think I had 8 Lbs of two row will really kill the conversion?

25518 said:
Say 2 Lbs. Of black patent with I think I had 8 Lbs of two row will really kill the conversion?

What in the world are you brewing with that grain bill?

To keep the acidity from ebing an issue you could also add half of the dark grain in half way into the mash and/or towards the end

Weird this was I brewed a double ipa and was only 3 points off two weeks ago, same equipment and technique.

Even with the same equipment and technique you can easily see a 5% swing in efficiency, were not pros. With a rims or herms system you can tighten that up a bit, but there will still be variability.

yeah, on that note do you mill your grains at the LHBS? Sometimes they mess with their setting which can impact your efficiency.

Hopper5000 said:
yeah, on that note do you mill your grains at the LHBS? Sometimes they mess with their setting which can impact your efficiency.

Good point, different LHBS.

well that for sure could have been the reason then, especially since it was a different store. You could call both and ask what there settings are and that would tell you.

Heavy darkness.

I brewed a milk stout with 1lb of black patent and that was way too much for a 5.5gal batch IMO. 2lbs in that size batch would equal liquid ashtray to me. As others have said, the ph changes with the highly roasted or killed malts is going to lower the pH and affect efficiency.

I brewed a milk stout with 1lb of black patent and that was way too much for a 5.5gal batch IMO. 2lbs in that size batch would equal liquid ashtray to me. As others have said, the ph changes with the highly roasted or killed malts is going to lower the pH and affect efficiency.

I've been reading through this thread, taking notes. Readjusting recipe for future use. want a black stout. Not ashtry stout. Then creamy stout. it does have somewhat of a burnt taste to it. This is why I like AG brewing. Readjust, readjust, readjust. I'm having fun learning. Thank you.

I've been reading through this thread, taking notes. Readjusting recipe for future use. want a black stout. Not ashtry stout. Then creamy stout. it does have somewhat of a burnt taste to it. This is why I like AG brewing. Readjust, readjust, readjust. I'm having fun learning. Thank you.

Some other tricks I have learned with the dark beers is to either cold-steep the highly roasted/kilned malts overnight, or to toss into the mash at the last 10-15 minutes before sparging to get the color without a lot of the acrid/burnt aromas and flavors.

Back