American Eisbeer Homebrew for trade.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suminorudder

Reaction score
As an experiment my last brew day, I siphoned off 1 gallon of an American style pale mild I made for ice distillation. after 7 hours in my freezer at five degrees, I ended up with 6 12 Oz bottles of yield. I would like to keep at least 2 bottles in case it turns out well, and I'd like to enter it in a HBC, 2 bottles for me and my friend who I promised I would have over for a tasting, which leaves 2 bottles to barter with.

recipe is as follows:

American Eisbeer
OG 1.041 FG 1.010

7 pounds pale US 2 row
1/2 pound Caramel 20
1/2 pound Caramel 60
1 pound White wheat

0.5 Oz amarillo 60
0.5 Oz Citra/Amarillo blend 45
0.5 Oz Blend 20
0.5 Oz Blend 5

Wyeast American Ale, 1 liter starter

Ferment at 68 for one week.

Rack to one gallon jug with priming sugar, freeze in freezer for 7 hours at 5 Degrees. Decant from slush and bottle.

The fermenter was packed with tropical scents of mango and papaya, and the freeze should concentrate that.

It could be awesome or not, but part of the fun is doing something new right? Give me a PM if you are interested in trying this, and one condition is I would love to get tasting notes from you afterwards! Anyways, Cheers!

Interesting...I have a bunch of apfelwine (grape, cranberry, regular apple) all about 7-9 months old so there just getting into there prime.
I would be willing to trade 1 for 1?

Cant see it being concentrated to anything high since you only started with about a 4% pale ale but seems interesting. one question why did you add sugar when freezing?

Interesting...I have a bunch of apfelwine (grape, cranberry, regular apple) all about 7-9 months old so there just getting into there prime.
I would be willing to trade 1 for 1?

Cant see it being concentrated to anything high since you only started with about a 4% pale ale but seems interesting. one question why did you add sugar when freezing?

I would guess based on the amount of water removed that its somewhere in the range of 6.5 to 7 percent perhaps? I'm not exactly sure how to calculate ABV when it includes removing water content.

The priming sugar was added to the five gallon batch which this got pulled from. Most of the yeast dropped out of suspension in the freezer, but there was enough healthy yeast left to condition the beer, as there is a layer of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I will send you a PM in a bit :)

Back