Ambiante vs Temp Range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIWI

Reaction score
Four days ago I brewed three 5 gal batches. A Belgian Wit, Red Ale and a Cream Ale. Using WLP 400 Belgian Wit, WPL London Ale, and WPL 080 Cream Ale. I been brewing for two years and read that it is better to ferment at the lower end of the recommended rannge. So far all of my beer has turned out great. My issue is back by the furnace the Wit is at 70 degrees which is OK. That temp is at the high end of the other two so I have those in a cooler area of the basement which is maintaining temps about two degrees below the low end of the recommended temp. Is this going to be an issue? They both are fermenting but after the fifty hour mark both slowed down to an occasional bubble. Should I place them back in the warmer part of the basement which will bring the temp to the top of the range of recommended temp range.

Do you have those “stick on” thermometers? I got mine at the pet store for aquariums. I’ve personally seen fermentation temperatures 10 degrees higher than ambient during active fermentation, so it’s an easy way to monitor fermentation temperatures. Without knowing the temperature currently, it’s hard to say if they should be warmed or left alone.

No but I have the stick on that is placed on the fermenter and a IR Thermometer that coincides with the sticker. But that is a really good idea I will pick some of them up.

They both are fermenting but after the fifty hour mark both slowed down to an occasional bubble. Should I place them back in the warmer part of the basement which will bring the temp to the top of the range of recommended temp range.
Yes. The first part of the ferment is where the off flavors are produced. Once that slows because the yeast is running out of the easy sugars to eat warming the beer will help them get the last of it and do their cleanup.

Back