What to do with Cooper's kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojzis

Reaction score
So a friend gave me a Cooper's kit that only just expired, seems to be fresh enough. It's an Irish stout kit. Looks to be a no boil kind of thing. I have never used extract or kits, especially no boil kits.

Do I make it? I have plenty of other recipes I'd like to get to...but this was free. It came with a 3.74lb can of irish stout LME, 1.1 lb light DME, 2.2 lb of dextrose and carbonation drops.

The instructions say to add them together in warm water then ferment lol I don't think that would turn out very good. So what to do with it? I can use the DME for starters, sugar for priming and no idea about the hopped LME. Or I can mix it all up and hope for the best...

So what to do with it?

You make it per the directions. Control your fermentation temp to that of the Coopers yeast and viola you'll have a nice Irish Stout.

So a friend gave me a Cooper's kit that only just expired, seems to be fresh enough. It's an Irish stout kit. Looks to be a no boil kind of thing. I have never used extract or kits, especially no boil kits.

Do I make it? I have plenty of other recipes I'd like to get to...but this was free. It came with a 3.74lb can of irish stout LME, 1.1 lb light DME, 2.2 lb of dextrose and carbonation drops.

The instructions say to add them together in warm water then ferment lol I don't think that would turn out very good. So what to do with it? I can use the DME for starters, sugar for priming and no idea about the hopped LME. Or I can mix it all up and hope for the best...

I don't have much good to say about Cooper's products (especially their yeast.....) but I know unionrdr has often mentioned on this forum how he tweaks cooper's kits to get a drinkable beer out of them.

If he doesn't see this thread, maybe send him a PM and ask his opinion? I know there are ways to not use all that dextrose, and to add some hops to the beer, and of course use better yeast, but I've never had good luck with attempting that so I can't say how to go about it.

Thanks Yooper, I figured it wouldn't turn out very well. If unionrdr doesn't see this ill ask him what he does to make it better.

I was thinking about adding the dark, hopped LME to a stout to maybe make an RIS or something.

Latest posts

Back