Total fermentation time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNP

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a tripel based upon a recipe from an extract kit. There will be no additions after fermentation begins so I'm planning to just leave it in the primary bucket rather than transfer to a secondary.
The expected abv is 8.5% and the recipe calls for 1-2 weeks primary and 1 month secondary.
When bypassing the secondary, do I just leave in the primary for 6 weeks? or do I shorten or lengthen the time?

Thanks!

Short answer: you leave it until it's done :)

Slightly longer answer: the yeast don't really care whether the beer gets racked or not, they'll do their thing regardless of vessel. Total fermentation time to the finished product won't really change, so I would plan on sticking it out for the full 6 weeks. After primary fermentation (1-2 weeks,) the beer is just clearing up, clarifying, and maturing. Technically, it will probably be ready to bottle/keg sooner than that, you'll just have to take readings and monitor samples to determine.

Thanks for the response... but raises other questions.
1. There's nothing wrong with leaving it on the yeast for 6 weeks?
2. How do I take samples without opening and exposing to oxygen?
3. Is there any reason not to sample and just leave it for 6 weeks and assume its good?

1) Nothing wrong with that.
2) You do risk oxygen exposure. Limit samples if you choose to take them.
3) You can do this too.

With a high cell count of healthy yeast, treated properly, it had better ferment fully in 6 weeks.

For 8.5% ABV I assume you're making a starter for your yeast, right?

bwarbiany said:
With a high cell count of healthy yeast, treated properly, it had better ferment fully in 6 weeks.

For 8.5% ABV I assume you're making a starter for your yeast, right?

What do you mean by treated properly?

Also... I wasn't planning on a starter. I've always used wyeast. Should I make a starter with it?
And now the stupid question... How?

PNP said:
What do you mean by treated properly?

Also... I wasn't planning on a starter. I've always used wyeast. Should I make a starter with it?
And now the stupid question... How?

Treated properly: don't pitch the yeast too hot, avoid wild temp swings during ferment, try to aerate the wort as best you can prior to pitching, etc.

Starter:
4 days before brew day: smack the yeast pack
3 days before brew day: boil 1 cup DME and 1 quart water for 10-15 min. Let cool to ~70 deg. If possible, transfer to a sanitized flask, growler, or jug. Pitch yeast. Keep in a room-temp area. Swirl often (ie every time you walk past it).
1 day before brew day: put on fridge until you brew
At yeast pitching time: you should have a thick cake of yeast at the bottom of the vessel. Pour off most of the excess liquid above the cake, swirl the remainder up, and pitch into your wort.

At that gravity, trying to a ferment an extract batch without a starter is a recipe for a stuck/stalled ferment.

At that gravity, trying to a ferment an extract batch without a starter is a recipe for a stuck/stalled ferment

or some wild esters that will produce off-flavors. Make a starter for that high of an OG. MrMalty will help you figure out how big of a starter. This pictorial will help with how to make one.

Latest posts

Back