Southern California Homebrewers Festival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The area where the festival was held is the "Special Events" area. They hold big events there several times a year. What usually happens is that the big grassy field across the street is turned into a parking lot and people enter through the unlocked gate. Most people never actually come through the main lake entrance. Why they don't do it for the Homebrewers Fest I don't know. Maybe they are just assuming that all the festival attendees are camping?

The signage (to me) seemed to indicate that they were trying to do just that (park the cars in the grassy field and enter through the unlocked gate...it was merely the gatelock. It looked fun though! I will just plan on getting their Friday afternoon next year and hopefully won't have to worry about it.

Sounds like I missed an awesome event! I hope to be there next year. I'll be at Casitas for Memorial Day weekend, won't be the same but I'll still have fun!

For those of you that missed it, I'd tell you to get it on your calendars for next year ASAP. I recommend getting hooked up with an affiliated homebrew club, as that will be the easiest way to ensure that you're at the front of the line to get a campsite. (Note -- they do sites MANY months in advance, so start getting into it now).

It's easily my favorite beer event of the year, with the OC Fair homebrewer's party (which is no longer occurring as of this year) in second place...

Id love to go to one of these, but I dont know how long I'll be staying in California after I join the army lol. I hope every state has one!!

Phunhog said:
Sweet! What are you bringing? I am bringing 3 kegs myself..one each of Cinco De Drinko Chile Blonde, DeadHead Red, and Der Kaiser Kolsch. They will be at the VIBE (Ventura Independent Beer Enthusiasts) booth. What club are you with?

Hey I'm in Ventura!

Hey guys, this will be our first year going to SCHF. So far have we have 120 gallons ready to go.

Questions about the booth set up. When do the clubs start setting up their booth? Can we drive into the festival area to drop off the beer?

Thanks!

Hey guys, this will be our first year going to SCHF. So far have we have 120 gallons ready to go.

Questions about the booth set up. When do the clubs start setting up their booth? Can we drive into the festival area to drop off the beer?

Thanks!

I think most clubs set up their booths Saturday morning, but a few do set them up Friday night and even pour. Yes you can drive in before the festival starts and drop off the beer BUT I wouldn't until Saturday morning.

We usually start setting up the booth Friday night (just putting things together), and then hook up most of the beers and whatnot Saturday morning.

Thanks everyone.

What about tear down? Does this happen Sunday?

Ice? Should we bring all the ice we need for the weekend?

Thanks again,
Daniel

Most teardown happens Sunday morning. I believe the festival provides ice.

Nice job! For a first year showing, that's a lot of beer! :tank:

I'm assuming that is 24 different beers in 5 gallon kegs? You really don't need more than 5g of any one beer. People are drinking samples not pints (except around the campfire at night) :)

I think we had something like 20 taps and 30 beers last year, so we had to rotate a few taps to make sure it was all represented.

Can't wait... Still not sure what beer I'm bringing, though... I don't know if my Gose will turn out okay or not given some issues I had with sour mashing... Hoping to keg it this weekend and find out :confused:

Look for me and JonW over at the brewcommune booth if you're around

deaton83 said:

Thanks!

He'll yeah!

bwarbiany said:
Can't wait... Still not sure what beer I'm bringing, though... I don't know if my Gose will turn out okay or not given some issues I had with sour mashing... Hoping to keg it this weekend and find out :confused:

Look for me and JonW over at the brewcommune booth if you're around

See you there I'll have 2 pilsner and a 80 schilling

BEAVR will be there in force this year. Carrying two ciders plus a hop centralized beer portion. Look for our custom made bar top.

I have a 100% Brett Stout, 3x detoction belgain at 12.8%, and a sour I will be providing. Come by The Big Brew Theory booth for a taste. We will be rotating taps all day.

deaton83 said:
I have a 100% Brett Stout, 3x detoction belgain at 12.8%, and a sour I will be providing. Come by The Big Brew Theory booth for a taste. We will be rotating taps all day.

Nice!

BrewTech!!!

We built this:::

image-574459823.jpg

image-1212910863.jpg

I'm bringing:
1 cab barrel aged saison
2 dry hopped cab barrel aged saison
3 cab barrel aged saison with apricot
4 Brett b golden ale
5 Brett c golden ale
6 Brett b Trois golden ale
7 Brett l golden ale
8 all Brett pale ale
9 rye saison
10 rye IPA
11 pale wheat

berebrando said:
BrewTech!!!

We built this:::

I'm bringing:
1 cab barrel aged saison
2 dry hopped cab barrel aged saison
3 cab barrel aged saison with apricot
4 Brett b golden ale
5 Brett c golden ale
6 Brett b Trois golden ale
7 Brett l golden ale
8 all Brett pale ale
9 rye saison
10 rye IPA
11 pale wheat

Nice!

You people arriving on Thursday are making me jealous. I'm in negotiations with the wife and might not arrive until first thing Saturday morning now :-(

Brad - last year was the first time we went up on Thursday and we liked it so much we made plans this year for it too! Seriously, it's nice and relaxing on Thursday and then Friday is cool to just kick back and watch everyone else arrive and setup while you're already done. Plus it gives us an extra day to smoke more meat. :D Brian is bring the smoker again.

Lovin' Fest! This will be my 13th straight year and by buddies 16th! We arrive early Friday to get the party started. Look for the Brew Donkeys banners in campground F this year. We'll have about 10-12 kegs so come on by and say hi and hell...drink some beer! :rockin:

MrOCT31 said:
Lovin' Fest! This will be my 13th straight year and by buddies 16th! We arrive early Friday to get the party started. Look for the Brew Donkeys banners in campground F this year. We'll have about 10-12 kegs so come on by and say hi and hell...drink some beer! :rockin:

Ill be at my first cant wait!

JonW said:
Brad - last year was the first time we went up on Thursday and we liked it so much we made plans this year for it too! Seriously, it's nice and relaxing on Thursday and then Friday is cool to just kick back and watch everyone else arrive and setup while you're already done. Plus it gives us an extra day to smoke more meat. :D Brian is bring the smoker again.

Not helping the jealousy, Jon...

I got sent to two different fires and missed the whole festival this year!!:( My buddies said they had a great time!!

Back