Brown sugar primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Always do my pumpkin beers with brown sugar. Use an online calculator to determine how much. Carb works great, you'll need a bit more than dextrose or table sugar by weight though.

Flavor wise, you may get a little molasses flavor from it, but truthfully, I don't notice much.

tulleyman said:
How much do you use? And do you use 5g batches. Have you ever worked with molasses?

Last year I did a partigyle and had 3 gallon and 2.5 gallon batches which I used 2.25oz (weight) and 1.75iz respectively. In the part for 5 gallon batches I typically use 3.5 -3.75 oz. again, by weight.

You can calculate how much you should use for your batch by using online calculators like www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator or tastybrew.com.

I haven't used molasses personally, but you can. Again, the calculators will tell you how much. I just ran it quick, and for a 5gallon batch with 2.1 volumes of carb bottled at 70*F, you'll need 4.37 oz of molasses.

Demerara sugar is good for priming too. It's raw cane sugar with a light brown sugar laced with honey sort of flavor. but at priming levels,it only adds a hint of flavor & color to the overall complexity. I used a pound of demerara sugar in my all NZ hopped Maouri IPA. it goes in the fridge this Wednesday,so next weekend we'll se how it smells & tastes.

I have used brown sugar and molasses both in priming. I adjust for fermentable sugars, with molasses having about 78% the fermentable sugar as corn sugar and brown sugar about 98%.

I've never used brown sugar myself, but it's very common. Check the priming sugar calculator in my sig, it'll help you figure out how much to use.

Thanks for all the great posts. I think I'm going to go the brown sugar route and see how my vanilla mint milk stout turns out.

I'm imagining that maybe brown sugar should be dissolved in something first. I imagine it doesn't dissolve as easily as powered corn sugar. Some people dissolve their sugar first anyway.

Back