Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone in the Pittsburgh area been able to find the yeast balls locally? I'd like to get it started but don't want to drive around all over looking for it. Thanks in advance!

A quick google search shows a good number of stores nearby...any of them close enough to stop in?

ForumRunner_20130415_192100.png

I'm going to harvest my first 10cup batch this friday. I've seen the thread on pasteurization but I'm wondering on batch pasteurization. What method have people used? Stick it directly in a pot and heat it up and hold temp for 10-15 mins then transfer to storage vessel?

I'm worried about glass exploding in the kitchen. Plus I'm using colbalt swing tops and I dont want the seals to bulge like some have mentioned.

Thanks

jak1010 said:
A quick google search shows a good number of stores nearby...any of them close enough to stop in?

Thanks I really appreciate that. Turns out there is one about 2 miles from my apartment! I'll check them out Thursday when I get back in town. Thanks again!

I'm going to harvest my first 10cup batch this friday. I've seen the thread on pasteurization but I'm wondering on batch pasteurization. What method have people used? Stick it directly in a pot and heat it up and hold temp for 10-15 mins then transfer to storage vessel?

I'm worried about glass exploding in the kitchen. Plus I'm using colbalt swing tops and I dont want the seals to bulge like some have mentioned.

Thanks
I can't say I've pasteurized with swing tops. If I'm using press top bottles I fill and cap the bottles. Then place them in a large pot of cold water with something in the bottom to keep them out of direct contact with the metal. I've got a pressure canner with a false bottom that works perfectly, but a cooling rack or even a tea towel is fine too. Make sure there is enough water in the pot to cover the bottles +1/2 inch. Heat the water to 160f, and hold it there for 10 minutes uncovered. Then kill the heat. If you've got a jar lifter or silicone oven mit, you can remove the bottles from the water onto a folded towel on the counter. Otherwise, just let them hang out in the water until they are cool enough... That takes hours though.

If you are doing multiple batches you can speed the whole thing up a little by using tap hot water in the first batch. After the first batch finishes, you need to dump the hot water and refill the pot with cold water. If you try the hot water thing with the second batch you run a higher risk of cracking a bottle. The thermal mass of the pot is already hot, it wasn't with the first batch. So using hot water twice represents a greater difference in temperature as the water won't be cooling when it hits the pot.

The only time I've ever cracked a bottle with that method is when I tried to rush things and used hot water with the second batch. Yup, that's almost identical to how you use a water bath canner. Those work well for this too.

Happy Brewing!:mug:

Thanks Leadgolem and Ostomo517 for your responses.

Leadgolem - I've used this technique canning before, I guess I'm just worried about the alcohol pressurizing the bottles more than say jams due to the alcohol. You're right though - I'll just place everything in cold water and bring it up to temp slowly to avoid the thermal shock and cracking/blowing the bottle. Just paranoid because this first batch is going out as a graduation gift and my next batch is 2 weeks from being done.

Ostomo517 - Did you cap the bottles or let them vent when using the swingtop?

Thanks

Since its your first batch, you also may just want to taste it first and determine whether you think it will really be around long enough to even bother pasteurizing. I have never found a need to.

If I had to pasteurize I think I would try a batch microwave pasteurization or something to avoid alcohol loss.

Since its your first batch, you also may just want to taste it first and determine whether you think it will really be around long enough to even bother pasteurizing. I have never found a need to.

If I were keeping it I'm sure I'd skip on the pasteurization. I'm giving it away as a gift though, so I'm not sure now long it'll keep around. I guess I could just tell him it has a shelf life of 2-3 weeks and to vent it once in a while in case it continues to carb.

The next 2 batches I'm planning on finishing off over a weekend for my cousin's 21st.

Leadgolem - I've used this technique canning before, I guess I'm just worried about the alcohol pressurizing the bottles more than say jams due to the alcohol. You're right though - I'll just place everything in cold water and bring it up to temp slowly to avoid the thermal shock and cracking/blowing the bottle. Just paranoid because this first batch is going out as a graduation gift and my next batch is 2 weeks from being done.

I had the top closed to prevent alcohol loss. I have extra seals on hand if one did end up failing (but they did not) a cheap solution at .10 cents each.

I had the top closed to prevent alcohol loss. I have extra seals on hand if one did end up failing (but they did not) a cheap solution at .10 cents each.

Dang, I didn't even think about that. Simple solution!

If I dont kill myself I'll let you guys know how it goes. Pretty excited about trying this stuff out. Hopefully I get more than a liter out of this so that I get to have a little something to sip on.

I don't pasteurize but I bottle in bourbon bottles with a natural cork tops and store in fridge after bottling
They usually don't last that long but I did have one bottle with a fake cork that popped off a few times when I went out of town for a few days
I suspect the natural corks vent the carbonation slightly
All that being said if its his 21st I don't think a bottle will last too long !

I am also in the process of actually going back and reading this whole thread as to not repeat some of the questions that have already been answered. One thing I did notice is that some are stirring and some aren't. I have stired my first 2 batches, one being nuruk & wine yeast and the second being the traditional recipe, and they are both somewhat sour. I did sanitize everything with starsan and I am wondering if some of the souring is oxidation or possibly introduction of other bacteria while stirring. I am not getting this sweet wine flavor most are referring to on here. My traditional batch seems slightly hot in the alcohol, slightly sour, and not sweet at all. I started a 3rd batch and I am not going to stir it and see if this changes.

TBBrewer said:
I am also in the process of actually going back and reading this whole thread as to not repeat some of the questions that have already been answered. One thing I did notice is that some are stirring and some aren't. I have stired my first 2 batches, one being nuruk & wine yeast and the second being the traditional recipe, and they are both somewhat sour. I did sanitize everything with starsan and I am wondering if some of the souring is oxidation or possibly introduction of other bacteria while stirring. I am not getting this sweet wine flavor most are referring to on here. My traditional batch seems slightly hot in the alcohol, slightly sour, and not sweet at all. I started a 3rd batch and I am not going to stir it and see if this changes.

No need to stir or open , set it and forget it for 21 days or a few more

We were chatting about abv of this stuff and I saw this thread just now. Maybe we could use this labs services to find our abv if we wanted? Thoughts?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/5-ibu-testing-405038/

http://coastalsciencelabs.com/index.html

My thoughts:
#1) I don't care enough to go through all that trouble find out.
#2) I am not about to waste a sample of my hard earned deliciousness.
#3) as I mentioned before, my process is pretty consistant for me so a test would probably tell me ballpark what I am getting but wouldn't translate to someone else's batches.

My most important thought:
Enjoy it :mug:

My thoughts:
#3) as I mentioned before, my process is pretty consistant for me so a test would probably tell me ballpark what I am getting but wouldn't translate to someone else's batches.

+1 thats the reason I havent done the boil down method to figure it out. I dont care enough to waste it.

I don't think the increase in pressure is much more then what you would get with straight water.

I've done wine bottles pretty much the same way. I just get the water over the line of the liquid in the bottle, but still below the top of the bottle. The rest of the process is the same. Once they come out of the water I rest a cork on the top of the bottle. When they have cooled, I cork as normal.

I can't really speak to the loss of alcohol leaving them open during processing like that, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. If you let your temps run away from you and you got up into the 173+ range, then you would definitely lose a lot of alcohol. You do need to be careful not to overfill your bottles, the liquid will expand and creep up the neck of the bottle when it warms up.

Has anyone in the Pittsburgh area been able to find the yeast balls locally? I'd like to get it started but don't want to drive around all over looking for it. Thanks in advance!

I haven't looked locally. I got mine online. The next time I go to the Strip District I plan to look at the Asian market there. I think that would be your best bet around here.

My thoughts:

I hear you. I am probably just overly analytical and for 5 bucks I figure what the hell. Once I get some good batches I may do it.

What I've learned definitively from the 167 pages of this thread is that homebrewers suck at making rice.

;-)

Just threw my hat in this party tonight. Third times the charm for finding yeast balls at local Asian food grocers in Buffalo. Interesting hunt though!

Last time I'll post a picture, here I have unpasteurized (left) and some pasteurized (right). Both look and taste exactly the same, which I was very curious about. I put the wine in 1 qt mason jars in 195F water on the stove (pre-heated the jars with wine) and took the wine up to a measured 160F. It seems to have worked well.
I used sweet thai rice, I had added too much water, and it was a mushy mess when I started. It turned out pretty well in my opinion, but I did buy Jasmine Rice for my next batch.

rice wine sample comparison.jpg

I think the suspended solids would screw up the heat evap calculation as the final mass of solids would probably be more than just sugar.

Re: honeymann method....I agree, though if you had a sample which was minus the solids you could get a ballpark figure. I am fine with just drinking it.

Thanks

Volume pasteurization is easiest, especially if you do not feel comfortable with bottle pasteurization. Just make sure your bottles are ready to go, and remember to never transfer hot liquid to cold bottles.

So, did anybody ever make the wine with the black glutenous rice? I saw mention of it in the earlier part of this thread, but have only made it to page 100.

Volume pasteurization is easiest, especially if you do not feel comfortable with bottle pasteurization. Just make sure your bottles are ready to go, and remember to never transfer hot liquid to cold bottles.

I agree, I pasteurized in 32oz mason jars that I set in 190F water & measured directly the temp of the rice wine. I removed when they hit 160F and then let cool down to room temperature & bottled.
To me, much less fuss & concern then sealing up and then pasteurizing.

I read about 20 pages without seeing this question. Fermented rice pics were posted earlier, can this be used as a yeast starter? Just steam your rice, put it in your jar, add some fermented rice and brew on?

KVANTAN said:
I read about 20 pages without seeing this question. Fermented rice pics were posted earlier, can this be used as a yeast starter? Just steam your rice, put it in your jar, add some fermented rice and brew on?

I can think of at least one person who did that and wished they wouldn't have. The balls are cheap, just use fresh balls.

Started my batch two days ago, three jars. Liquid present and fully fermenting after 36 hrs. Tasted it, all out sour lacto fermentation. Was super careful with sanitation. Guessing my balls are not the right culture. They're three balls in each individual package. Oh well.

You can get lacto from the balls (the ones I'm using anyway) too if you let them go too far. I've never smelled heavy lacto that early on mine though. It seems as if the balls have different formulations from type to type. Could just be the character of your balls but 3 days is still kinda wow. :)

I have officially read this whole thread. Great read.

I few pages back, there was mention of somebody using a few spices. I was thinking of cinnamon and vanilla, similar to rice pudding. Did anybody have any success with the cinnamon?

TBBrewer said:
I have officially read this whole thread. Great read.

I few pages back, there was mention of somebody using a few spices. I was thinking of cinnamon and vanilla, similar to rice pudding. Did anybody have any success with the cinnamon?

I just harvested one that I added cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and a bit of turmeric to. I just took a little taste and it has a nice warming effect, I plan on drinking it chilled though.

image-1715011154.jpg

I'm about 24 hours in with red yeast rice (1/4 cup) and some Angel rice Leaven. The leaven was just sprinkled on top in hopes that the red yeast will get a chance to spread before the leaven takes over. I'm hoping for the best here.

I just harvested one that I added cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and a bit of turmeric to. I just took a little taste and it has a nice warming effect, I plan on drinking it chilled though.

Care to share the quantities that you added to what volume? It would also be nice to get a flavor review to find out what you felt was complimentary and also what was weak and or too strong.

TBBrewer said:
Care to share the quantities that you added to what volume? It would also be nice to get a flavor review to find out what you felt was complimentary and also what was weak and or too strong.

2.5 cups jasmine rice, soaked for 2 hours then cooked with 2.5 cups water. I then mixed in 1/4 of RYR, put it in the jar, and sprinkled some rice leaven on top. I will share after the harvest. I haven't found anything conclusive regarding whether the red yeast will do the job on its own, hence the rice leaven. The leaven has already started getting fuzzy and the red yeast seems to be spreading out.

Latest posts

Back