Absurdly long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sutepan

Reaction score
Making a Simcoe IPA with an OG of 1.066. Pitched a good 1098 slurry on June 2nd, with noticeable action after 18hrs. After 5 days of a healthy fermentation and still lots of airlock action, I racked to secondary (I had to leave town for 5 days and wasn't comfortable with it in the primary that long). The temp held at 18C until the 12th, with very healthy action in the airlock. I have just returned from another 5 day business trip and the airlock is STILL bubbling, though slowly (10-15seconds), but the temp has fallen to 15/16C so obviously things are winding down.

I'm thinking of racking again to get it off whatever has fallen out at this point. Suggestions? Has anyone had any experience with 15 days of fermentation?

I just bottled an IPA that after 3 weeks had airlock activity every 20 seconds. The SG was at 1.014 for 3 readings over the course of 6 days, I'd take readings and see where it is at. It might already be done, just letting go of some of the Co2 in solution.

Taking the beer off the yeast when it's still fermenting isn't a good idea. Secondary is for after the beer has fermented with a stable FG, to clear the beer. Many skip this step due to the extra potential for oxidation and infection.

Some big beers take weeks in primary, depending on temps and such. Patience. Beer sitting on yeast in a homebrew setting very rarely causes issues, even over a month or more.

CYCLMAN is exactly right. the yeast that is fermenting your beer is not something that needs to be avoided, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable leaving the beer on the yeast for 5 days since that WILL lead to an absurdly long fermentation at the very least.

A gravity reading is the only way to be sure.

Yeast cells have no arms and as a result, no wrists. Having no wrists, they cannot wear wrist watches. This means they lack the ability to tell time.

So if we are seeing bubbles every 10 seconds, it matters about as much to them that it would if we were seeing bubbles every 90 seconds.

In most cases (unless your ferment has truly stalled somehow) the bubbles we see after about 10 days or so, are just off gassing. Fermented beer still has an amount of dissolved CO2 in solution after active primary fermentation is complete. The amount is more dependent on temperature than continued yeast activity. A change of even a couple of degrees can cause the beer to retain or release gas.

Steady bubbling and a good krausen are fair indicators that active fermentation has started but they are usually poor indicators that fermentation has finished.

I'd invest in a wine thief ($10 or less at most shops). It is a good way to pull samples during the process. Mine is the perfect size to float a hydrometer in as well. If I think a beer is done or getting close, I just sanitize the thief and my hydrometer and pull a sample to verify where I am vs. my expected FG.

It also provides a 2 ounce or so sample that I can check for flavor and aroma development.

Thanks everyone. I let it be, as advised. The beer is now on tap (after 20 days in the secondary). The FG came in at 1.010, which is way below the expected 1.016. I calculate alcohol at 7.3%! I've dry hopped in the keg with 45g Simcoe pellets, and will be serving it up at my wedding bash in 10 days time.

I plan on re-pitching the yeast onto another IPA in about three weeks, which will be the 4th go-round for that yeast. Are there any concerns pitching that many times?

Thanks everyone. I let it be, as advised. The beer is now on tap (after 20 days in the secondary). The FG came in at 1.010, which is way below the expected 1.016. I calculate alcohol at 7.3%! I've dry hopped in the keg with 45g Simcoe pellets, and will be serving it up at my wedding bash in 10 days time.

I plan on re-pitching the yeast onto another IPA in about three weeks, which will be the 4th go-round for that yeast. Are there any concerns pitching that many times?

not really. if yeast are treated well they can be reused many times. you'll read 5, 7, 10 generations and some breweries have lost count of how many generations old their yeast is. i reuse mine 2-3 times unless i decide to make visits to my local brewery for fresh yeast in which case i don't reuse at all, fresh yeast for each batch.

Back