Almost 9 years away. but I'm back, Baby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xalwine

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So life made brewing something too difficult to maintain, so a little over 8 years ago I packed up my homebrew equipment, called up the guys in my local homebrew club and gave them first picks of my equipment. I thought it was better that it get used than sit in my basement. I closed that chapter in my life.

well 8 years, a divorce and remarriage later I'm back in the hobby. I've been piecing together parts for my home brewery and lucky me, my LHBS is discounting the open box Blichmann they had on display. So I'm building up my equipment and trying to draw up plans to jump back in with a brew day this spring.

What have I missed in the almost 9 years? Is Star-San (don't fear the foam) still the dominant sanitizer? Have newer technologies (wider access to CNC, 3d printing things like that) made a difference in the homebrewing scene?

In the mean time, I'm gonna be reading, and trying to re-learn what I've forgotten.

I can't wait to drink a homebrew with yinz.

Welcome back! Star san is still on top, although others have found other chemicals that are working just fine.

Automated brewing is picking up some steam as well as electric brewing as a whole with the invention of all in one brew systems.

Haven't seen many 3D printed stuff but there are some floating around here.

New style of choice by many is the NEIPA-think heady topper. Small if no bittering charge, added to a mountain of hop stands and huge dry hop charges.

Personally, I see a alot of the old hop heads moving towards the lagers and less hoppy ales but that also could just be me as I'm currently on a lager and wheat beer kick going on 3 years now.

Many of the old timers of HBT still kick around but don't post as much...there is a new group of gurus whose knowledge is incredible.

All in all, things have changed but yet still remain the same.

:mug:

Automated brewing is picking up some steam as well as electric brewing as a whole with the invention of all in one brew systems.

Tried extract brewing on stovetop ten years ago. I hated it. When I found the all in one systems I was stoked. I just have to move my stove and plug the kettle and I can have a full brew day in my kitchen. Game changer for me.

Welcome back! I took a 6 year hiatus myself. Things are different now. I just discovered pressurized brewing. Lagers are now possible thanks to the SPUNDit! Many new yeasts now, too.

And Kveik, how could I forget that. Makes fermentations in SC very easy!

Last edited:
Welcome back to the hobby! Let's see, what's new in 8 years...

A few myths have been debunked in recent years. Like needing secondaries, having to rack off the yeast to avoid autolysis off-flavors, etc.

A newer edition of Palmer's How To Brew since then. (Worth picking up, as it's much more up-to-date and packed with info)

There are a lot more choices in dry yeasts now if you want to simplify things and save a few $$.

More awareness and guidance in low-oxygen brewing.

A lot more DIY. Plenty of ferm chambers, brew sculptures, keezers, gadgets, etc. If you want to build it, someone on HBT has a discussion thread with pictures. More people growing hops, harvesting yeast, home-malting, smoking grain, etc.

You'll probably notice prices of supplies have really bumped up. Good news is that many online brew suppliers offer free or flat rate shipping for orders above a certain amount, so that can save you some. Watch for group buys in your area, too.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

No one else has said it yet so I will....
🌈 Biotransformation 💥

Lol...:drunk:

10 years? i've only had people to talk to about brewing for the last two of my 17 years of regular brewing! :mug:

9 years ago if I mentioned BIAB (brew in a bag), I was told to "learn how to brew the right way".
9 years ago there were several local homebrew shops near me, now they are all closed.
9 years ago you couldn't buy any of the Kviek yeast strains.

I bought an Anvil Foundry 10.5. After gravity, 2 coolers as a boil kettle, I love it. I do miss being able to do 10 gallon batches though. That’s the biggest and only downside for me. I’m over it.
cheers

Latest posts

Back