All ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
I've noticed that I can only find gluten free ales. Has anyone done a gf lager? Or did I overlook a recipe. I have a fridge that will accommodate my 2.5 gallon mr beer fermenter. Don't laugh, you'd use it too :p

There's a few lager recipes out here. I recall there being the recipe for the No Pils Pils. I've made a few lager attempts with mixes of brown rice syrup, sorghum syrup and honey. I don't really have a good low temperature ferment though. (I've been using my keezer for a batch or two, and currently a mead, but it's a pain not having cold beer to drink.)
I may do one or two later this year when the snow flies and it's more or less the right temp out by my furnace. (This apartment keeps it outside in a separate room)

I've noticed that I can only find gluten free ales. Has anyone done a gf lager? Or did I overlook a recipe. I have a fridge that will accommodate my 2.5 gallon mr beer fermenter. Don't laugh, you'd use it too :p

Schnitzer Brau and O'Briens are two commercial gluten free lagers I know of. I'd say turn over time and equipment would really be the limiting factors. I can't keep production up with demand at my place :) And waiting for the lagering could kill me.

Would love to try a gluten free steam ale. Maybe in a mini-batch.

Well, I think that one big thing is that making a lager is a bit more complicated than making an ale, and we've already complicated things plenty by making gluten free beer...but that being said, I've personally given a lot of consideration to making a GF lager. In fact, I had planned on doing it already, but my lagerator plans fell through, so I'm now waiting for cooler temperatures. My first attempt might be more of a 'steam ale' type, or a 'hybrid' technique.

And that leads me to the other issue, which is yeast choice. Unfortunately, there just isn't a very wide selection of dry lager yeasts.

And that leads me to the other issue, which is yeast choice. Unfortunately, there just isn't a very wide selection of dry lager yeasts.

The fermentis ale yeasts have been great to me. I can only imagine their lager ones will also be good.

Miss a good Euro tasting Lager.

I made a lager, the no pils pils mentioned above. Nothing more difficult except a little temperature control.

I tried another more recently...and it didnt seem to want to ferment no matter what I did. I left it alone in the garage for 4 months though and it apparently fermented eventually. I will be putting it on tap pretty soon.

I will also point out that Redbridge is a lager. Damm Daura is also a lager. Just in case you want a commercial example.

I really think lagering + Sorghum does something to the beer different from barley versions. Maybe it is just letting the beer sit, but I really think that getting a very clear beer reduces sorghum flavor.

Agreed. Something about the cleaner taste. The two I did outside were pretty good. The steam beer was ok, but not great, and I haven't tasted the last one that I tried to temperature control (unsucessfully). Lack of a temperature controlled primary is the reason why I haven't attempted any since March.

Admittedly, ales (porters and stouts) are what I mostly like, so it's not a major issue to me. With liquid yeast, you can dilute the gluten away, but I'd still consider it a potential risk for some celiacs, until at least the first generation yeast washing.

I may consider a 2 gallon sized container for a mini fridge. I know those can hold two 1-gallon jugs but it's somewhat disappointing to only have 10 bottles of a beer.

I was going to venture down the path of more lagers since my lady thinks she likes light beer, but she doesnt drink enough beer for me to justify doing much of anything.

I may still make batches here and there, but she's not really into it anymore. =/

Back