co worker gave this to me this morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I live in PA btw

ForumRunner_20130411_075920.jpg

ForumRunner_20130411_075935.jpg

Law that prohibits gas and beer to be sold in the same location. What kind of ass backwards law is that?

Hell even in Utah you can buy beer and gas in the same place.

Opps I said hell. The religious police will be by shortly. Pardon me i must run...

Beer in supermarkets would be cool... But i think for me it really wouldnt matter... I prolly would only rarely buy from a grocery store or gas station...

I would stick to my normal bottle shop

I do see the advantage for some people tho going grocery shopping, beer and liquor shopping all at once

I bet liquor, beer and grocery sales would all go up if they were all under one roof and were able to check out at 1 register

Thats the only thing that really bothers me, i go to wegmans buy groceries and have to go across the store to buy beer

I see laws like this and laws that are on the books in places like MS and AL and am thankful I live in Arizona. I hope you guys conquer these antiquated laws.

Hopefully we well get privatization of liquer licenses in pa soon.

Please, what gas station is going to sell anything outside of BMC? The current proposed legislation is going to kill your local distributor and put thousands of people out of jobs. It's not good for craft brew or Pennsylvania's breweries. I'm all for the commonwealth being out of the liquor business, but this bill is a loser.

Well Meak if it's anything like I can find here around Ithaca,NY they will be carrying stuff from the local breweries. I haven't read the current bill mind you so I don't know what it says exactly.
Now I grew up around Mansfield, Troy, and Towanda area and any distributor you stop by in that area isn't going to have much beyone BMC anyhow. In fact the only distributors I have been in that have any sort of selection at all have been in Pittsburgh. But how often are you going to want to throw down the cash for a case of something like Delirum Tremens or that ilk? Whereas here in NY I can pick up 4pk of it and still be able to pay the rent. :)

I guess the situation could be diferent in various places in PA but I don't think something like this will kill the distributors off. I haven't been in NY long enough to hear it from others here but did NY have many distributors before you could find beer in gas stations and grocery stores?

I guess I'm off to find the bill and read it myself...

Please, what gas station is going to sell anything outside of BMC? The current proposed legislation is going to kill your local distributor and put thousands of people out of jobs. It's not good for craft brew or Pennsylvania's breweries. I'm all for the commonwealth being out of the liquor business, but this bill is a loser.

Apparently you haven't been outside of PA? There are growler filling station (of craft brew) AT gas filling stations in SC. http://craftbeerexchange.wordpress.com/whats-on-tap-in-sc/

MC

I disagree. I lived in altoona pa where sheetz was started and now based out of. A few years ago they were givin permission to sell beer in select stores and they actually had quite a selection. Many craft brews.

Well, then maybe I'm wrong on gas station beer selection. My only experience is with the San Diego area, where it was all BMC, at least on my neighborhood. I think that maybe Sheetz and Wawa would have a leg up on, say, A-plus or Hess, what with their extended MTO food selections.

Please, what gas station is going to sell anything outside of BMC?
there are some that have a selection. 1 of the best true craft beer stores in the dallas/fort worth area is 1 where you walk into a gas station and back into the liquor store area. they have over 1000 craft beers

lumpher said:
there are some that have a selection. 1 of the best true craft beer stores in the dallas/fort worth area is 1 where you walk into a gas station and back into the liquor store area. they have over 1000 craft beers

Uhhh...they don't sell liquor out of gas stations in dfw.

My support is gonna depend on how they structure the reform. I'm not sure I want to see teh Gobblers Knob selling BMC on every corner. Plus the way the state has hemmed in distributers sales it could hurt some if they allow sales at every store that could get a license. Is it is now if you want more than two sixers you have to go to a distributor. They could let the distributers sell singles and wine/whiskey and just get the state government out entirely. They'll still get their taxes, it'll end a monopoly and open price competition (always good for consumers), and end the ridiculousness of the state selling and enforcing.

...of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Well, then maybe I'm wrong on gas station beer selection. My only experience is with the San Diego area, where it was all BMC, at least on my neighborhood. I think that maybe Sheetz and Wawa would have a leg up on, say, A-plus or Hess, what with their extended MTO food selections.

I think the demographics of the location of that gas station will dictate what they carry... Also... What customers ask for. You'll still get your BMC only places but you'll also have your micro/craft places.

MC

i am too looking to see what comes of this.. i would love more stores to able to carry different varieties.. i do have a wegmans that isn't far away that we go to when visiting family that has a great selection, so the law has been slowly chipped away in the recent years.. this just seems to be more on the handle for liquor and wine purchases as that is still wholly controlled by the state stores..

Latest posts

Back