bottles fizz over when opened.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewpunk

Reaction score
Hi all..I'd appreciate any help what can be offered. .I made a muntons barley wine kit and followed the instructions perfectly and primed bottles as usual with half teaspoon of brewing sugar...opened 2 today they're just over a month old and as soon as I opened them it was like a non stop volcano...I was well disappointed...I'd appreciate any feedback. ..cheers n kp brewing. ..gav.

Infected bottles. Look into sanitizing more thoroughly throughout the bottling process. Was this your first brew or have you bottled multiple batches. This happened to me before I learned that stuff can get stuck in the valve in my bottling bucket and the only way to truly sanitize it is to completely disassemble it, not just take it off of the bucket.

adding sugar one-at-a-time to bottles is one way to prime, really old school.

easier and more reliable to bulk prime. mix all your priming sugar into all your beer and bottle from that. ensures more consistent carbonation across the batch

Sounds to me you've overcarbed them, really surprised no bottle bombs. Cold crash them in the fridge for a week or two to reincorporated the co2 back into the liquid and they shouldn't keep
Fizzing like that. Just don't bump them or shake before opening(ya know the usual for carb drinks)

I've been brewing kit beers for about 2 years now and never had this problem b4..it was like never ending...the foam kept rushing out...always sterilize everything ...

Sounds to me you've overcarbed them, really surprised no bottle bombs. Cold crash them in the fridge for a week or two to reincorporated the co2 back into the liquid and they shouldn't keep
Fizzing like that. Just don't bump them or shake before opening(ya know the usual for carb drinks)

+1. This is all you can do now.

My friend has this same problem right now. He transferred too early and he has some active fermentation in the bottle. What we've decided was to purge them by slightly lifting the cap releasing pressure for 4 days. He just popped one open today after 2 wks and was a success.

I once used a pound of brown sugar to carb. Actually turned out well. Hint of brown sugar. I, thought it was cool. But, foam, baby, foam. The next time I used, think 1/2 a pound. Didn't foam as much. Barley had a nice little hint of vrown sugar. Disapointing. But didn't foam as much. I alrady said that. I already said that.

My friend has this same problem right now. He transferred too early and he has some active fermentation in the bottle. What we've decided was to purge them by slightly lifting the cap releasing pressure for 4 days. He just popped one open today after 2 wks and was a success.

So your saying maybe ferment longer, than. Use a Lb. of brown sugar? Cause, damn, it was nice

25518 said:
So your saying maybe ferment longer, than. Use a Lb. of brown sugar? Cause, damn, it was nice

No. One month and you have overflowing carb? Either it wasn't done fermenting, it's over carbed or its infected. If its infected the beer should taste funky, sour or very bad. If it tastes and smells fine the its the other two. If that's the case then you need to purge your beers once a day for like 5 days. Put on in the fridge for 2 weeks or so and check again. If they still have too much carb. Do it again.

Back