defiance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaconga

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this show? I am starting to love it. Great one liners mixed with good sci-fi and decent acting. It has potential to go for the long haul imho.

It's fantastic, lot better that Revolution, and any other sci-fi in a long time. I was expecting it to be pretty lame, but it's pretty much a post apocalyptic "Bonanza." With great writing, and good acting.

The sci-fi blog Io9 has become a convert as the season has progressed. Defiance may be turning into the great scifi series we were promised.

I like the show too, but a little concerned that last episode or so they went all LOTRs with the artifact. If the kid starts to morph into gollum, I'm outta there.

I think the artifact and the thing with Arissa seeing things is very reminiscent of farscape story arcs. If they pull it off half as well then it should feel very genuinely defiance and less LotR. I love the bonanza comparison revvy!

I was expecting it to be pretty lame, but it's pretty much a post apocalyptic "Bonanza."[/URL]

First thing that popped into my head as well when the Mine family was introduced. They even have the whole Romeo and Juliet thing going on between the two kids.

All told finding it worth watching. Here's hoping that they keep going past the second season.

Definitely one of the better sci-fi series in a while. Plus it's got Julie Benz(the mayor, Rita from Dexter)

Anybody watch the last episode? I thought that the scene where Kenya and Stahma were horizontal had some potential..... ;-) For some reason I think that Stahma is kinda hot.

Yeah I think she's stunning as well. Even out of whiteface.

Jaime-Murray.jpg

She's coming back to Warehouse 13 this season and I think she's hot too.

As for Defiance, I'm still up in the air. I record and watch it but it seems a bit hokey at times like they're pushing things too fast. I know SyFy's budget is not huge but I do see their influence on network tv as there will be a few scifi shows coming on this season.

She's coming back to Warehouse 13 this season and I think she's hot too.

As for Defiance, I'm still up in the air. I record and watch it but it seems a bit hokey at times like they're pushing things too fast. I know SyFy's budget is not huge but I do see their influence on network tv as there will be a few scifi shows coming on this season.

OH MY GOD, I didn't catch it until you posted....I just realized that's H.G. Wells!!!! Holy Cow.

I thought that the scene where Kenya and Stahma were horizontal had some potential..... ;-)

I just finished that scene....I think I need to be alone with rewind for a bit. ;) Interspecies lesbian sex, my new fetish.

Another thing I've been loving is the music in each episode. The covers have been fantastic.

Jen Chapin's Into the Mystic at the close is awsome.

She's Harry Chapin's daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. I saw that when I Googled it, but didn't realize that was a channel. Thanks. I'll check it out on Hulu.

Ok so who else besides me saw that last episode? I thought the last one was a bit racey, this one's got the last one beat eight ways to Sunday. Wow, just wow.....

Just finished watching it on Hulu. Yeah it gets better and better each week. Characters are developing, and I think even the actors are gelling at it bleeds through into the acting. The drunken comraderie between Joshua, Amanda, Rafe and the astronaut felt quite real seaming, and natural.

And Stahma in the bathtub and later post lesbian with Kenya...wow, here breasts are stellar...

Do all aliens have breasts?

Last nights episode was very good. The show is really starting to gel and the characters are getting better as we learn more about them. There are so many places this show can go but I just hope it stays on a long time. Seems that after 2-3 seasons, the shows get killed.
There's already enough reality crap on tv.

I gave it 5 or 6 episodes and got bored. The insufficiently explained teraforming apocalypse. The heavy duty evil aliens everyone is afraid of, nobody talks about, and randomly show up when a little extra drama is needed. The product tie-ins: defiance body wash commercial, defiance car commercial, and defiance video game commercial.

They didn't even bother to fix the inconsistency between the St. Louis arch being broken in the promos and unbroken in the show.

Even Graham Green couldn't save this show for me.

I need to catch up on the entire season. I keep getting into a half an episode, so I'm kind of lost on the story arcs. I'll have to start catching up on demand.

Well I've gotten through the first five episodes. Really enjoying it. I'll finish it up this weekend and post up final thoughts. So far I think it's pretty good writing. Doesn't seem so low budget for a syfy show.

They seem to be creating more and more layers of depth and complexity with their characters, they definitely are 2 dimensional. They have good and bad, light and dark sides to them. Datak is becoming more and more intriguing. He's not just the resident bad guy, he has an agenda or 30, and there's and still he'll turn around and do something good.

I felt like the latest episode with the plague was definitely a social commentary on the problems of racism and xenophobia. It didn't back away from something that many shows would rather not deal with or will use kid gloves for. Datak and his wife are brilliant and remind me of white court vampires from the dresden files. Essentially these are not new themes or characters but rather a brilliant retelling of classic stories with vivid effects. I have trimmed back my tv time for the summer but this is very much on the to watch list.

Back