Keg or wait??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman24dx

Reaction score
Guys, please let me know what you think is a better option. I am getting married early July and want to have 2 homebrews available on draft. (Side note this is my 1st time kegging) I have a Boston Ale that has fermented 2 weeks now and has had the same FG for a while now. I am brewing a Strawberry blonde Friday.

Should I:

A. Keg my Boston Ale to free my bucket for the Blonde?
Or
B. Transfer to my glass 5G carboy and wait 1-2 additional weeks?

Thanks for the help as always...

I would likely transfer to the carboy simply because while it may be done fermenting, it will likely continue to clarify. But if you are afraid of sanitation (every extra transfer is an extra chance of infection), then simply cold crashing before transferring to the keg is equally acceptable. It will still clarify in the keg, just that you will have to discard the first pint or two from the keg once stuff settles out.

I assume the Boston Ale is not a big beer so I also say keg it. I usually ferment for about three weeks and rarely use a secondary. Most of my beers are done in about 10 days and clear a few days after that so I see no need for a secondary unless the beer needs to clear more.

+1 on kegging it now. No legit reason not to.

If you want it to be really clear, after you rack it to the keg, but before you purge it with CO2, hit it with gelatin finings.

I have no reason for it to be very clear. The gravity readings tasted great and besides the ABV being a little lower than I had hoped (it was supposed to be 4.5 and is 3.9) it is a very tasty beer.

I just need to read up and figure out how exactly to keg as I have had anxiety about it for some time now...

I just need to read up and figure out how exactly to keg as I have had anxiety about it for some time now...

That's understandable. Just think about how nervous you were the first brew session vs. how comfortable you are with the process now. Kegging will be the same way.

After you rack the batch over into the keg (make sure your tubing reaches the bottom and fills from there to avoid splashing), seal it up and purge the air out with CO2, you'll be thinking - "Hey, that was so much easier and faster than cleaning, sanitizing, filling and capping 50 bottles!"

BTW- Congrats on your upcoming nuptials. My oldest son is getting hitched in 9 days and wants me to bring along some brew for the rehearsal dinner and reception.

Keg it. It will continue to age, which it probably should for a few more weeks.

The taste at the beginning may not be the same at the end; I've had kegs where I said I could never drink that, and 3 weeks later, it was ok.

Back