Need help with porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffD1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to formulating my own recipes and I just would love someone to critique this one. It is a "Porter Square Porter" clone from Slumbrew in Boston. The actual ingredients are from their website, but can someone give me advice suggestions on amounts. I will also add some chocolate powder in the secondary, and possibly some vanilla? Thanks so much!

5lb batch:

9lbs 11.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) **77.1 % * * * *
8.0 oz * * * * * * * *Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)* *4.0 % * * * **
8.0 oz * * * * * * * *Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) * ** * *4.0 % * * * **
6.0 oz * * * * * * * *Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) * * * * * * * *3.0 % * * * **
4.0 oz * * * * * * * *Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) * * * * * * *2.0 % * * * **
4.0 oz * * * * * * * *Carafa III (525.0 SRM
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 2.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 2.0 %
8.0 oz Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) 4.0 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 21.6 IBUs
1.15 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 9.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

8 oz of black patent sounds like alot for a basic porter recipe. Could just be my taste thiugh

I just did a porter that I used 11# 2 row, 2# crystal 80°L, and 2# chocolate malt with a half pound of brown sugar. Some will say I way overdid it with the chocolate, but that's why it's my recipe and not theirs. The color and aroma were great while brewing and I added coffee and vanilla to secondary last Saturday. If you want to make the clone, do it by their recipe, if you want to modify it to fit your taste, it's your beer... Put in whatever you want! Unless you need to meet BJCP numbers, then you have restrictions you must operate within. If you modify it and it turns out good, make sure you post your recipe in the recipes forum so others can enjoy your creation!

Thank you very much for the advice, I think I'll reduce the black patent a little.

Back