Non stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instinct2

Reaction score
My father in law took my kegs for his welders at work to install some threaded nipples. I told him to make sure it was stainless 1/2 inch. Well I got iron 3/8 inch, not stainless. How big of a problem is this going to be? Do I need to drill them out? And put in weldless fittings?

Those will be much more likely to rust over time and leach things into your wort you likely do not want in there. I believe it is best to get those switched out.

The good part is that its SMALLER then what u wanted so you can drill them out and not have gigantic holes. Depending on how u get that done u may be able to get 1/2 in there but im not 100% sure, it will depend on how much u need to take off with them.

Either way if ur gonna go welded again, ur best bet is to buy the hardware urself and give it to him if he's going to have co-workers do it. u can buy them at brewhardware.com or bargainfittings.com

After F'ing that up, I wouldn't trust 'em to weld in the correct alloy... there is a lot more to welding SS than just pulling the trigger.

After F'ing that up, I wouldn't trust 'em to weld in the correct alloy... there is a lot more to welding SS than just pulling the trigger.

Agree, drill them out and go weldless until you can find a welder you are confident in.

IRON? The FDA doesn't allow iron in food service application due to it being a carcinogen. I wouldn't use an iron fitting!

Iron is carcinogenic? WTF better start getting anemic then?
Ok I checked it out "on the internet" - the same guy that said iron is bad also said non-magnetic stainless steel (i.e.18/10, 304 & 316 which is the normal type used in food safe surfaces) is a real bad idea because nickle is also a toxin/allegin/carcinogen and should be avoided -again WTF
Source (not that I trust it:D) http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

Iron is carcinogenic? WTF better start getting anemic then?
Ok I checked it out "on the internet" - the same guy that said iron is bad also said non-magnetic stainless steel (i.e.18/10, 304 & 316 which is the normal type used in food safe surfaces) is a real bad idea because nickle is also a toxin/allegin/carcinogen and should be avoided -again WTF
Source (not that I trust it:D) http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/iron-dangers.shtml

I have handled and welded a lot of stainless and I am with you on the WTF. But just to be safe I am going to take all the nickels out of pocket and throw them out:rolleyes:

Iron is a carcinogen?? Isn't there iron in almost all multi vitamins??

It is also pretty much a requirement to have in your red blood cells to stay alive. It is what the oxygen molecules attach to so that they can be carried throughout your body.

I have handled and welded a lot of stainless and I am with you on the WTF. But just to be safe I am going to take all the nickels out of pocket and throw them out:rolleyes:

I Know, I could understand if they were saying iron oxides/fumes from welding are not good for you, but a blanket statement of iron will give you cancer is crazy. I almost want to got out an lick a rusty handrail just in defiance of these "experts"... but I would probably get sick, but it won't be from the iron :D

"Iron" in its more natural high carbon state is not really used much any more it is probably carbon steel. If its galvanized I don't think that's safe. But if its just steel your main problem will be it rusting fast.

"Iron" in its more natural high carbon state is not really used much any more it is probably carbon steel. If its galvanized I don't think that's safe. But if its just steel your main problem will be it rusting fast.

Not trying to be an ass but iron in its more natural sate would not be high carbon, it would be mostly bound to oxygen (iron oxide, aka rust). Carbon steel is, relatively speaking, high carbon.

Iron comes in many compound forms, some good for you, some not. I have always heard that the kind that may leach from a fitting when it contacts boiling wort is the bad kind.

How about a peer reviewed journal article/experiment:

http://general.utpb.edu/FAC/eldridge_j/kine4360/Tracy Womack/HC6.pdf

That said, I did find that iron piping like you buy at the big box stores is rated to 212F, so I'm sure the fitting doesn't leach below 212F, so you're likely just fine.

Iron comes in many compound forms, some good for you, some not. I have always heard that the kind that may leach from a fitting when it contacts boiling wort is the bad kind.

How about a peer reviewed journal article/experiment:

http://general.utpb.edu/FAC/eldridge_j/kine4360/Tracy Womack/HC6.pdf

That said, I did find that iron piping like you buy at the big box stores is rated to 212F, so I'm sure the fitting doesn't leach below 212F, so you're likely just fine.

Huh? I only skimmed the article yesterday but I didn't not any distinction between good/bad Iron. Just that inorganic Iron (is there even an organic iron?) will increase the rate of cancer.
The biggest issue with what was done is getting rust in your beer not getting cancer.
A malluable iron fitting that is rated for 212°F doesn't mean anything but it would not be destroyed below 212°F (and I assuming it also had a pressure rating also). Legilation is most likely where you will find if you can use it for food contact surfaces in commercial settings (and most likely not). Nothing can stop someone from doing what has been done in the OP and homebrewing with it - it is just not a good idea because I would expect the beer to not be great and cleaning out a rusted fitting (which will laso cause the stainless to start rusting) is going to be a PITA

Yes but if you take a whole bottle of multi-vitamins at one time then you could get a toxic dose of the vitamins/minerals. That could be the same result of using non-stainless fittings and getting an abnormally high amount of iron in the beer.

Not to mention that iron is much more corrosive than stainless steel. It rusts :(

images

And they haven't banned cast iron skillets? The scoundrels are out to get us!

We need our cast iron skillets, whatever the risk!

Yes but if you take a whole bottle of multi-vitamins at one time then you could get a toxic dose of the vitamins/minerals. That could be the same result of using non-stainless fittings and getting an abnormally high amount of iron in the beer.

I don't think many people down a whole bottle of multi-vitamins and I doubt that you would leach out of one fitting, anywhere near the amount of iron that is in ONE pill.

Not to mention that iron is much more corrosive than stainless steel. It rusts :(

images

This would be my only worry!

No matter if iron ingestion is safe for humans.. iron fittings when exposed to high heat and high ph wort will rust at an expedited rate. Leeching rust into your precious wort.

Even if you guys bicker for months and conclude iron to be safe, I think we can all agree that we don't want rust in our beer.

Back