cony keg fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was talking with an old school home brewer who was telling be that he fermented in the cony kegs.

I am wondering if you have done this and what you do to convert the keg for fermenting? Any other tips or tricks???

THANKS!

I ferment in sanke kegs. Carboy caps fit right on top. You can fit a blowoff hose over the threads on one of your posts on a corny. Just take out the dip tube and post. I think an air lock with a grommet will fit in the post too. Heck, you could just put some foil over the opening too.

Trouble is that there's no room for head space in a 5 gal corny. I really like 1/4 bbl sankes.

loads of people do this. everyone has a different preference. i pull the 'out' dip tube and put in two 'in' dip tubes. for an explosive fermentation i run a blowoff tube out from each port to a bottle of sanitizer. easy. use fermcap foam control or equivalent. search the forum you will find a million discussions on the topic. ignore anyone who says you can't / shouldn't. the cleanup is incredibly easy, sanitization is simple. the only problem in my opinion is that you don't get a full keg of beer from it, but you can come close enough

Back