Porter Fermentation Real Slow - Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigkorp

Reaction score
Have a Power Pack Porter extract kit from Midwest Brewing that I brewed on April 6. SG was pretty much what the kit said it would be at 1.066. The yeast was S-04 Safale.

Left it in primary for 8 days before racking to carboy. Took a gravity reading on 04/11/13 and came in at 1.026.

Airlock still bubbling after a month so took a reading today. Came in at 1.021. So it is going down but very slowly. Expected finish gravity is 1.012 - 1.015.

Seems like a like a long slow ferment. Did I take it off primary too quickly?

The good news is that it tastes very good. Just would like to get it safely in bottles.

Plan is to check readings next two days and see what is up.

Any advice?

Yes, a common misunderstanding is that secondary is to complete active fermentation. As long as the fermentation is decreasing gravity, the beer should remain in primary, where the yeast can actively ferment the beer (removing yeast can slow or stall fermentation). Secondary is for after the beer is fermented to FG for 3+ days, to clear, add fruit, add dry hops, or to age.

Most beers don't require secondary if you're not ageing or lagering. In a commercial brewery, where head pressure is stressing yeast, you need to get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation is complete. In a homebrew setting, this is not so critical.

Hydrate your yeast, aerate your wort extensively or use an O2 stone, and keep temps in the yeast's range, this is a fairly long fermentation, but it happens. The beer will likely be just fine.

Cyclman is right regarding the purpose for a secondary fermentation as it really isn't a true fermentation. You still have plenty of yeast to finish the fermentation down to the expected FG. It will just take longer to get there. Give it plenty of time and don't worry about taking too many samples. The more samples you take the more you risk infection and/or oxidation. RDWHAHB

And welcome to HBT!

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Recipe instructions said to rack into secondary after a week so I did. But as I am reading and learning I have concluded I didn't need to do that so quickly or at all. I'll be patient.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Recipe instructions said to rack into secondary after a week so I did. But as I am reading and learning I have concluded I didn't need to do that so quickly or at all. I'll be patient.

As is so often the case, the recipe instructions gave you bad advice. They probably didn't say anything about rehydrating that S-04 before pitching either, but it might have helped.

Sounds like you're on the right path though. Hang around here. Read as much up to date info as you can (especially from folks like Yooper and Revvy) and things will improve.

Btw, No need at all for a secondary with that porter batch. You'd probably be done if still in the primary.

Generally speaking darker beers don't need secondary's since they don't really have to be clear. If you're worried about having all the tiny haze causing particles out of it you can always cold crash for 3-7 days in a fridge.

Back