Adjunct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
In those beers most of us ran away from do they use corn sugar? How is the corn used?

I'm gonna buy some corn sugar to try against table sugar for carbing. I got to wondering if I wanted to use it to make an ale version of an American lager if it would make it the proper type of "thin."

I'll check out that link in a minute, but if it's too big for my phone I'll wait until SWMBO isn't looking to swipe the computer! :D

Hmmm...I wasn't aware that flaked grains were adjuncts.

I obviously need to reread the section on mashing by Palmer. I read it when I didn't understand the process. Now that I'm getting into BIAB I ought to get a better understanding!

Tried to view your recipe. It took me to your profile. We share quite a bit in common. Liking almost all forms of music makes that easy!

I'll have to try again when I get the computer.

You click on the lil inverted triangle next to the word recipes. A drop down window should appear to choose from.

I did. Maybe I didn't enlarge it enough to be accurate. Lemme try again.

It worked...

How did your extended boil effect your hopping times? Did those change?

I'm curious about the kolsch yeast. As I like to (now) make a larger starter so I can save some clean yeast aside for next time, I'm not sure I'd make it often enough. How would it be with a clean yeast such as WLP 001 or something?

Crazy it took so long to reach FG! Why do you think that was?

My attempt at making a "light ale" got rearranged a couple of times. I had 3/4 lb of rice DME for what became a 5.5 gal batch instead of small test batch. I tried to use a pack of Mr Beer booster, but it was hard as a rock so I tossed it all and used a pound of honey. Now I'll likely drink it all before any of the people who don't like anything but BMC light get to try it!

It worked...

How did your extended boil effect your hopping times? Did those change?

I'm curious about the kolsch yeast. As I like to (now) make a larger starter so I can save some clean yeast aside for next time, I'm not sure I'd make it often enough. How would it be with a clean yeast such as WLP 001 or something?

Crazy it took so long to reach FG! Why do you think that was?

I passed out from 2 24oz'rs & most of a fifth of vodka on Fat Tuesday after the bittering addition was added. I think that it added a slight blush to the color. And it came out,after the flavor additions,fermentation,etc rather like an un-skunked Heineken at a few weeks in the bottles.
The WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast (listed as such,even though kolsh yeast IS ale yeast) ferments at a higher temp than most other kolsh yeasts (ideal 65-69F). But it gives a crisp,lager like finish & the malt/hops balance is good.
I wondered if the extended boil might have made some "intermediate" sugars that were harder for the yeast to consume. The darker version didn't have these problems & turned out to be the better of the two in terms of longevity & over-all quality.
I saved the yeast from both batches. Kids tossed out the 2 big jars I was saving to wash yeast in,so now I have to try & find something else to use. Maybe Walmart finally has the sun tea jugs back out. They had'em with & without spigot.

Do you think it would turn out as well if a clean yeast like WLP 001 were used instead?
Have you used the kolsch yeast for any other styles?

I made my Hopped & confused light colored hybrid with it. Then used a small partial mash combine with 1 can Thomas Cooper's Selection Heritage Lager to make my dark hybrid,named Twilight Delight. The dark one turned out better,like I said,with o2 caps vs BB caps on the h&c. But the light colored one would've been better with o2 caps & a 1 hour,no pass out boil.
I saved 2 batches worth in the fridge for future use. I've been contemplating using it for a hybrid style IPA to emulate the new IPL's I've heard about. You could use a clean yeast,but the WL029 gives lager like qualities at ale temps. That's why I used it to produce pseudo,or hybrid lagers.

Maybe I'll need to give that yeast a go.

I've had the IPL from Sam Adams. It's good. When I first tried Sam's stuff many moons ago I didn't care for much of anything I tried. Now I like most of them...

Oh yea...

GO SPURS GO!!!

Def a good yeast. Gives the lager qualities it describes & is a very steady fermenter when kept in the 65-69F ideal range. Steady machine pistol burps from the airlock all during initial fermentation. The steadiest performer I've ever used. Although the WY3056 Bavarian wheat blend performed quite similarly,with a similar ideal temp range. But do try the WL029,you'll def like the results.

Latest posts

Back