Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom and Jerry were enemies.
Parents didn't blame video games and McDonald's for their fat, stupid kids; they told you, "shut off the tv, eat your vegetables, and go outside and play."
Your little league coaches weren't trying to molest you.
You could sit by your grandfather while he smoked cigarettes without some a hole making a federal case about it.

Subsailor said:
Remember these:

A buddy of mine bought a bachelor pad when we were about 20 and we found a set of these in the garage while cleaning. After 10 mins we almost hit him and hit the roof pretty hard and broke some glass. His father took them away before we could have drunken fun with them

image-2912981498.jpg

Remember these were metal. Mine was a hand me down from my uncles so it was already dented sharp and rusted. I didn't have a peanut allergy.

Speaking of which. No one did. No one had any allergy so bad if something was in a room they'd go into anaphylactic shock. And we were allowed to bring BUTTER knives to school for our lunch

In 9th grade, I remember bringing a 12 gauge shotgun to school (with prior approval from my teacher) and doing a presentation to the class on how to field strip and clean.

Try doing that today.

These may still be around, but when they first came out every kid on the block had them. No helmets or pads, trying to perfect this stupid idea. Bust your head on the concrete and be completely whacked out from reality, and get back on it and try it again. Think those are called concussions these days. :drunk:

tumblr_lfcalkxEZF1qgsh1bo1_400.jpg

These may still be around, but when they first came out every kid on the block had them. No helmets or pads, trying to perfect this stupid idea. Bust your head on the concrete and be completely whacked out from reality, and get back on it and try it again. Think those are called concussions these days. :drunk:

tumblr_lfcalkxEZF1qgsh1bo1_400.jpg

I remember these.. What a great way to break your neck!

EHV said:

image-2736484335.jpg

Nintendo had this so you can break your neck while playing a video game. You could tell how radical it was by the neon shoe laces and rolled up jeans

They didn't have "dog parks", and you took your dog with you to the regular parks.

We were the first kids on the block to have color tv. We only had access to 3 channels, but we were happy! Remember listening to Beach Boys, Doors, Stones, and Beatles. Nancy Sinatra and These Boots Were Made For Walkin'. Kids played outside all day and night (during summer). We watched cowboy 'n injun movies (they're not pc now so they're rarely aired). "Aired", now that's an archaic term. Gas was 29 cents/gal. We rode in the back of pickups. Had blood-brothers. Watched Monster Theater on Saturdays. Disney at 7pm on Sundays. Learned Basic on the teletype in hs. Used 8 ch paper tape and ibm cards. Used to be able to "read" the little holes. Remember RPN, Reverse Polish Notation?

Remember when a computer was as big as a 9 ton truck and the only calculators we had in college were one of these....

bosco

powerlog.jpg

Remember when a computer was as big as a 9 ton truck and the only calculators we had in college were one of these....

bosco

I remember in HS we used to have slide rule races -who can come up with the answer the quickest - what a bunch of geeks!

Anybody remember Bosco chocolate syrup? How about Brook's catsup? Beeman's gum? Remember Bobby Orr, Dick the Bruiser or Jack LaLane? Remember when you needed a lic from the FCC to operate a CB radio?
Anybody remember watching this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody remember Bosco chocolate syrup? How about Brook's catsup? Beeman's gum? Remember Bobby Orr, Dick the Bruiser or Jack LaLane? Remember when you needed a lic from the FCC to operate a CB radio?
Anybody remember watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKpOnrfsuII

Yup to everything but the Bosco stuff.

Jack Lalane came to my grade school as a kid. Still got fat though as I got older :D

Push_button_cable_box.jpg

Remember these? Remember how you use to be able to push down two buttons at the same time and get fuzzy pay TV channels (Skinamax mostly)?

Say what you want about cordless remotes, but you never had to hunting through the couch for this brick.

Good times.

... sounds very similar to a term ... 'excrement cranium'."

related to the medical condition Intrarectal Cephalosis ...
or if etiology unknown, Idiopathic Intrarectal Cephalosis (IIC)
also sometimes referred to as Idiotpathic Intrarectal Cephalosis.
An unfortunately common condition I used to administer emergency treatment for when I was a paramedic.

related to the medical condition Intrarectal Cephalosis ...
or if etiology unknown, Idiopathic Intrarectal Cephalosis (IIC)
also sometimes referred to as Idiotpathic Intrarectal Cephalosis.
An unfortunately common condition I used to administer emergency treatment for when I was a paramedic.

From the Latin; Cranius-Rectus

I got one....Remember the Timex Sinclair 1,000 computer?

zx81computer.jpg

Trying to get this thread back on track...

Built one from a kit in 1980-ish.

Cut my chops in BASIC programming on that baby!

Still got it somewhere. Probably a valuable collectible by now!

Built one from a kit in 1980-ish.

Cut my chops in BASIC programming on that baby!

Still got it somewhere. Probably a valuable collectible by now!

Speaking of kits, remember the Heathkit catalog, and stores?

cover.jpg

GC1Aad66.JPG

AdHeathIC2009.jpg

Heathstore_yol1.jpg

In fact our computer club at my highschool raised enough money to buy one of the Hero 1 Robot kits from them. Sadly I graduated and it was only half built.So I never got to see it in action.

photo1a.jpg

Not as intelligent as HeathKit ... but when you just have to have a donkey that dispenses cigarettes out its butt ... the Johnson Smith Catalog
p34794.jpg

JohnsonSmithCover.JPG

ahhh, haven't some of us made this before? ...
Johnson Smith “Joke Beer” ...
“LOOKS REAL BUT TASTES AWFUL. Looks like beer, foams like beer, and even tastes a little like beer. Leaves a foul taste in the mouth. Price postpaid: 20cents”

tumblr_lsjuuxcn1T1qa0wmmo1_500.jpg

(btw: for those of us that just have to have that donkey - from one of the modern Johnson Smith Company websites ... http://www.lighterside.com/product/smoking+donkey+cigarette+dispenser.do?from=Search&cx=0 )

Remember when this guy was the biggest thing on the planet and not a gigantic weirdo?

image-1835665015.jpg

Jacob_Marley said:
Johnson Smith “Joke Beer” ...
“LOOKS REAL BUT TASTES AWFUL. Looks like beer, foams like beer, and even tastes a little like beer. Leaves a foul taste in the mouth. "

Sounds like Kirkland's IPA!

Latest posts

Back