Driving in the passing lane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me, what's the deal with people that drive in the passing lane and barely do the speed limit? The one's that wont EVER move over to the slow lane. It drives me friggin nuts. Being in sales, I spend a significant amount of time on the road. I'm also a pretty fast driver and when someone comes up on me, I always move over. It's common courtesy I think.. What's the mind set? Is a power thing? I've always wanted to ask one of these people, but I can't get them to pull over...:D

Today this guy, just would not pull over. After I passed this guy, looking back in the rear view, there might have been 6 or 7 cars following this guy. He's like a pace car driver. Sorry, but it drives me bananas. Also, I'm not sure in all states, but in Massachusetts it's against the law to travel in the fast lane. Once you pass, your suppose to move to the slow lane. Not that I follow this law all the time.

Drives me nuts as well. In CA I don't think it's a law the left lane is passing only but most people are considerate and move out of if if they are holding traffic... most.

Another one I love is when a you're driving down the highway and a car pulls infront of you, the distance they pull out is mildy unsafe so you have to slow down or risk teboning them. Then to place a cherry on this turd cake they drive 40-45 in a 55 zone and you can't pass them because continuous oncoming traffic. What planet do these people live on? This scenario happens often on my drive to work. Happened again this morning. What gets me is the guy basically ran the stop sign to pull in front of me, drove 40mph for two miles and I finally was able to pass him which I felt a bit foolish doing because there was a four way stop about a 1/4 mile ahead but I didn't want to risk getting stuck behind him again if he went my direction. I watched in my rear view mirrow as he got to the four way stop and acted as though it was a yeild sign.

Admission of doofus status: I only found out about the left lane-for-passing-only thing within the last maybe ten years. But if I'm on the left, I'm flying. :)

I love to drive in the left lane. It's the cruising lane. I set my cruise control for 2mph over the limit and just jam to my music. I've noticed that there is a trend in America to use a wave that only has a finger raised. I've started waving back with that new wave, enjoying my day.

Not-so-Seriously though...one person's fast is another's slow. If other lanes aren't open, then maybe the person is actually passing someone, or the person they were passing started to speed up. If other lanes are open then maybe they just opened up. You've been driving too fast to really notice. ;) Take your time and enjoy the drive.

In all seriousness...LUF.

What is even worse for me is travelling in the SLOW lane going 5 or more MPH over the speed limit and traffic ahead so I can't go any faster. I am being tailgated. I find that it is 75% chance of being a female. 50% of them are on a cellphone and 80% of the tailgaters are from Massachusetts driving in Rhode Island.

Dan said:
Drives me nuts as well. In CA I don't think it's a law the left lane is passing only but most people are considerate and move out of if if they are holding traffic... most.

Also we all drive faster than hell here, so it's not as much of an issue ;)

retire2016 this is not the first thread about this issue. Can you take a hint? What I really hate though are the people that move to the left lane to pass, slow down, eventually pass the right hand lane then move to the right and speed up. When they catch up to people in the right lane, they move to the left, slow down.... etc. It's like they think the cops only monitor the left lane for speeders and it's ok to speed up in the right lane, or they are just ********.

This is pretty much the Illinois driver's mentality. "I have the divine right to travel in which ever lane I please at whatever speed I choose."

What's terrible is getting two trucks, one with the max speed limiter 2 MPH higher than the other, passing each other....

This is pretty much the Illinois driver's mentality. "I have the divine right to travel in which ever lane I please at whatever speed I choose."

Worst offenders? WA-state drivers. Good 'lawd!! And if you, heaven-forbid, ever pass them from the right, they look at you like you just got off a UFO.

MC

I love the left lane. That way there is no one beside me and I can drive with my knee. Then I can text and play video games. Buncha buttheads behind me always mad and stuff, need to slow down and enjoy life. Gotta go, cant type, drive and make a peanut butter samitch all at the same time. ;)

I've been giving these folks the big ol' exaggerated thumbs-up - makes me feel better too.

this but I have to get their attention by giving them the horn as I finally pass them in the right hand lane

get out of the way, I have somewhere to be!!

I have a long history with this subject, having grown up on the east coast (upstate and downstate NY) and moved to the west coast (bay area, Sac) almost 13 years ago.

At least on the east coast these clueless, ignorant morons will get the hint after you flash your high-beams at them a couple of times. This works 99% of the time and they move over.

However, these classless *****bags on the west coast that REFUSE to get out of the left lane NO MATTER WHAT deserve to be thrown screaming from a helicopter. I HATE you, you are RETARDED, please douse your car with gasoline and set it on fire with yourself in the driver's seat. You are too stupid to be allowed to drive and you're lucky society doesn't band together and prevent you from reproducing, in the event you ever figure out how that works.

Retire2016 - I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If so, great post. :) If you're being sincere then the above is directed at you.

I am instantly wary of anyone who even calls them a slow lane and fast lane even if they are not in a car! There ain't no such things, dummy!!

The Eagles? Yes, I have my eye on those guys too.:mad:

I am instantly wary of anyone who even calls them a slow lane and fast lane even if they are not in a car! There ain't no such things, dummy!!

Then why do I see signs on the side of the road that say, "Slower traffic keep right"? If the slower traffic stays to the right, and therefore the faster traffic is to the left, do you have a better name for them than slow lanes and fast lanes?

Working in EMS and driving ambulances, this is possibly my biggest pet peeve. The only reason for being in the left lane is to pass, turn left or if you are an emergency vehicle. And for Pete's sake, people, when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you, DON'T SLAM ON BRAKES!!! Ease to the right and let them pass, they may be going to your loved one's aid. (Rant over) ....

Then why do I see signs on the side of the road that say, "Slower traffic keep right"? If the slower traffic stays to the right, and therefore the faster traffic is to the left, do you have a better name for them than slow lanes and fast lanes?

Call the right lane what you like, but I call the left lane the overtaking lane. (Only because that's what they call the "Fast"lane in the UK, and I haven't heard a proper name for it here apart from Left Lane.)

Those signs are for idiots. Like the "Mind your head" sign over a 5' doorway. ;)

Do you see any signs that say Faster traffic keep left?

Edit for pedants: Yes, there are some special cases, usually in an uphill situation where there is specifically a lane for the real crawlers and trucks.

However, these classless *****bags on the west coast that REFUSE to get out of the left lane NO MATTER WHAT deserve to be thrown screaming from a helicopter. I HATE you, you are RETARDED, please douse your car with gasoline and set it on fire with yourself in the driver's seat. You are too stupid to be allowed to drive and you're lucky society doesn't band together and prevent you from reproducing, in the event you ever figure out how that works.

Left lane is for going 80+ otherwise GTFO. That is all, courtesy of someone who deals with the 405/5 Los Angeles to San Diego abomination daily.

Working in EMS and driving ambulances, this is possibly my biggest pet peeve. The only reason for being in the left lane is to pass, turn left or if you are an emergency vehicle. And for Pete's sake, people, when an emergency vehicle comes up behind you, DON'T SLAM ON BRAKES!!! Ease to the right and let them pass, they may be going to your loved one's aid. (Rant over) ....

Agreed. I still do not understand why the 'accepted' method of dealing with an emergency vehicle is to slam on the brakes then get over rather than keep going get over then slow or stop. Essentially just get out of the way and let them through. My brother is a firefighter and he told me to keep going and not obstruct them. So that is what I do, merge right or left depending on where they are approaching and give them a lane.

Once I was the only car in the left turn lane of a divided street. All other lanes were blocked by cars. An ambulance came up behind me and my turn light was red (just about every intersection where I live has a light for turning left). I looked both ways, made sure no one was coming, and ran the light. Second time I ever intentionally ran a red light. The first was in a snowstorm and I didn't want to stop and lose momentum. :)

on the Capital Beltway in Virginia, this one is also ignored all the freaking time
IMG_5113 (2).jpg

Honestly, I am a mild road rager. I am probably too quick to pass somebody on the right when it is apparent that they aren't getting over.

I think that a fair share are texters, talkers, inconsiderate or intentional ass holes.

That said...

I think that probably half are people camped in the left are new or seldom drivers, or for some other reason are too petrified to even change lanes.

Nearly all of these people should be pitied, not hated. Pity makes you a better person, hate slowly kills you.

Pity is also one of the biggest insults you can dole out ;)

Honestly, I am a mild road rager. I am probably too quick to pass somebody on the right when it is apparent that they aren't getting over.

I think that a fair share are texters, talkers, inconsiderate or intentional ass holes.

That said...

I think that probably half are people camped in the left are new or seldom drivers, or for some other reason are too petrified to even change lanes.

Nearly all of these people should be pitied, not hated. Pity makes you a better person, hate slowly kills you.

Pity is also one of the biggest insults you can dole out ;)

I would say MORE than half are just friggin jackholes. in the DC area, the jackholes are a clear majority

I drive in the left lane a lot, but I get over if someone is clearly approaching. I will say I mostly drive there if there has been a lot of slower drivers on the right, nobody is behind me trying to overtake, and/or I have to turn left at some point ahead...within a few miles. Sometimes it's hard to get back over to turn, ya know? But again, I try not to impede anyone.

When I travel long distances on the interstate, I use cruise control. I do try to accelerate more to pass, but I'm not going to do 90 to pass someone who's going 2MPH slower than me just so the guy behind me can get by ME. I'll pass them slowly, I aint getting a ticket on behalf of the guy behind me. Is he paying it?

I learned how to drive on the Long Island Expressway where every lane is the fast lane or Where every lane is a dead stop.
In the op's situation I just weave through traffic... Don't even wait for them to move over.

I was riding b*tch in our engine (5-man cab, so I was center back seat, with a clear view out the windshield) en route to a fire. Watched a truck ahead of us (left lane of a 2-lane head to head, 4 lane total road) make a perfect 90° and go nose-first into the curb to get out of our way. WTF???

I drive in the left lane a lot, but I get over if someone is clearly approaching. I will say I mostly drive there if there has been a lot of slower drivers on the right, nobody is behind me trying to overtake, and/or I have to turn left at some point ahead...within a few miles. Sometimes it's hard to get back over to turn, ya know? But again, I try not to impede anyone.

When I travel long distances on the interstate, I use cruise control. I do try to accelerate more to pass, but I'm not going to do 90 to pass someone who's going 2MPH slower than me just so the guy behind me can get by ME. I'll pass them slowly, I aint getting a ticket on behalf of the guy behind me. Is he paying it?
You sir, deserve to be punched in the balls.

I don't care if I'm the only car on the road. Right lane unless I have a reason not to be. Heck, when I come to those climbing lanes on long steep hills, I'll move right unless I need to pass someone.

Once on a road trip through South Dakota, I had a freaking left-lane bandit in front of me. I merged left to pass a slower vehicle, and got caught behind him. Sure, I *COULD* have passed him on the right, but he was driving a Cobalt (or some other economy car), and I had my Silverado. So I hung out 2' off his back bumper until he got the clue and moved right. It took FIVE FREAKING MILES. And as soon as I passed him, he pulled back into the left lane. At that point, we were the only cars in sight. It was all I could do not to slow down, ram his @$$ off the road and throw him the beating he deserved.

You sir, deserve to be punched in the balls.

Said a little harshly, but he has a point. You think you are watching, but you get to messing with the radio, or singing along, and "OOPS! somebody behind me! I'll get over here pretty soon" To you, looks to us like:

You cruising, I see you a ways off and hope you will get over, I come up fast, sit behind you, wonder if you are dozing or intentionally in the left lane, you decide to pass this next car on the right before getting over, I pass you on the right and you act all indignant.

Back