Creating extracts.. Vanilla/Vodka & Oak/Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ja09

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback with this. I'm attempting to create these two extracts for a split batch, and I'm pretty sure I know what to do with the vanilla, but not sure if the same could work with oak & bourbon?

For the vanilla, I'm thinking 2 beans, cut & scraped in 400ml Grey Goose for at least 3 weeks, shaken daily. Thinking of pitching ~75ml in a 1 gallon secondary (RIS) & bulk aging for 3 months.

For the oak, thinking something like 1oz medium toast soaked in 250ml Eagle Rare for 3 weeks, shaken daily, then pitching ~ 75ml in a different 1 gallon secondary (RIS) & bulk aging for 3 months. Some cold pressed coffee will also go in this one, maybe 75ml as well.

Will this extract enough oak flavor for a RIS?

The reason I'm not adding the oak or beans to the secondaries is because I'd like these flavors to bulk age for at 3-4 months without over oaking/vanilla, and I really don't want to rack 3 times and expose these small batches to oxygen.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I have, but I added the chips. That is pretty standard.

Just adding the bourbon, I can't imagine that it would be over oaked, but impossible to say for sure.

Back