I am trying to do a BIAB brewing with all the processes in the same pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have ordered a cooler to use as a mash tun.....I am still waiting for the cooler and I still have to change it, but apart from the cooler....I already have everything....and for this reason, I'd like to start BIAB brewing without the mash tun.

My idea is to heat the water in the pot and do the mashing in it. Now...problem: I dont really have another big sized pot to put the wort in it...while I sparge. Is there a way to sparge in the same pot while the wort stay in it? Then I could just boil and add the hops and finish the brewing process.

Basically....what I am trying to do is this: brew in the same pot. Is it possible at all?

I have used colanders and cookie drying racks on top of my pot after lifting the bag out of the water. I just don't like holding the bag and don't have a good overhead tie off point to let it drain while I am squeezing the bag.

I have used colanders and cookie drying racks on top of my pot after lifting the bag out of the water. I just don't like holding the bag and don't have a good overhead tie off point to let it drain while I am squeezing the bag.

Thanks for the info.
I understand this....but I have never done BIAB. So...my concern is the sparging.....or you dont sparge at all? Just use all the water (in case of a 5-gallon batch...all the 5 gallons of water+what evaporates) for mashing?

If your pot is large enough, you can mash full volume w/ no sparge. Roughly an 8-10 gallon pot for an average 5 gallon batch.

If your pot is not large enough to accommodate full volume, you can dunk the bag in another vessel / pot / bucket, (dunk sparge), or suspend the bag over the kettle and slowly pour or sprinkle sparge water through the grain bag (sprinkle sparge).

I understand this....but I have never done BIAB. So...my concern is the sparging.....or you dont sparge at all? Just use all the water (in case of a 5-gallon batch...all the 5 gallons of water+what evaporates) for mashing?

Yes, all the water!

5 gallon batch + boil off + grain absorption + trub losses / yeast cake = total water required.

ball park 7-8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch....cheers!

If your pot is large enough, you can mash full volume w/ no sparge. Roughly an 8-10 gallon pot for an average 5 gallon batch.

If your pot is not large enough to accommodate full volume, you can dunk the bag in another vessel (dunk sparge), or suspend the bag over the kettle and slowly pour or sprinkle sparge water through the grain bag (sprinkle sparge).
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my pot is 13 gallon big and I am brewing a 5 gallon batch.. So..probably I'll just calculate the water needed for the batch and do mashing, boiling and that's it. Is it easy to maintain the mash temperature in a steel pot for an hour?

By the way...there is one thing I dont understand: Do I get to striking temperature.....put the grains in the water in a bag (when the burner is already off). Mash for an hour and then I get rid of the bag (after a bit of squeezing) and then just boil with the hops. However....how can I boil the hops with the bag in the liquid? Wont the bag be burnt or something?

Most wrap the pot in a sleeping bag or a few coats. I have a large ALuminum pot and I lose a few degrees over the hour so I just remove the coats and re heat.

Is it easy to maintain the mash temperature in a steel pot for an hour?

I use an old sleeping bag to wrap my SS pot to help maintain the mash temp. This past weekend I did not need to wrap the pot, my pot by itself held the mash temp. The ambient air temp was 83°.

My usual process for a 2.5 gal batch is to mash with all the water I need minus 2 quarts. Bring up to temp and toss on a lid and put it in a 150F oven to help hold temp. After an hour I put it back on the stove and heat everything above 165. I pull bag out, squeeze, and let sit on the rack while I heat the reserved 2 quarts in another small pot. I have used an electric tea kettle and just hot water from the tap as well. I flatten out the grain in the bag and pour the water over slowly. I squeeze and drain again and go about my boil as usual. I usually calculate my recipes at 75% but I usually end up a little on the higher side of that. When I don't sparge, it ends up a couple percent lower maybe.

BIAB is the best!

By the way...there is one thing I dont understand: Do I get to striking temperature.....put the grains in the water in a bag (when the burner is already off). Mash for an hour and then I get rid of the bag (after a bit of squeezing) and then just boil with the hops. However....how can I boil the hops with the bag in the liquid? Wont the bag be burnt or something?

simplified procedure

heat 8 gallons to 160 - 162, turn burner off
add grains and bag and stir, temp will stabilize low 150's
insulate kettle to retain heat, or put kettle in warm oven, say 170 for an hour
stir stir stir...remove bag and grain
boil with hops
chill
ferment
carbonate
consume
cheers!

Wilser's simple process is spot on.

For your mash temps and water volumes, search for "simple BIAB calculator" on Google. It does a great job telling you your water volumes and mash in temp. I use it regularly.

simplified procedure

heat 8 gallons to 160 - 162, turn burner off
add grains and bag and stir, temp will stabilize low 150's
insulate kettle to retain heat, or put kettle in warm oven, say 170 for an hour
stir stir stir...remove bag and grain
boil with hops
chill
ferment
carbonate
consume
cheers!

Cool. Yeah, good idea...I mean the "stir, stir, stir" part. How long do you think I should stir? Any indicators or guidelines on that? Wont the stiring release stuff that makes the wort slightly bitter?

However....how can I boil the hops with the bag in the liquid? Wont the bag be burnt or something?

1. Mash for an hour or so
2. Pull the bag and grains
3. Bring to boil and add hops

At no point should the bag be in the kettle while you are boiling. If, during the mash, you need to add heat to account for temp loss, you should have something (veggie steamer, cake rack, pizza pan, etc.) in the bottom of the kettle to keep the bag from touching the bottom and scorching. However, if your kettle has a layered clad bottom, then this is not necessary.

Cool. Yeah, good idea...I mean the "stir, stir, stir" part. How long do you think I should stir? Any indicators or guidelines on that? Wont the stiring release stuff that makes the wort slightly bitter?

I stir while heating to make the grain heating more even. Stirring will do no harm to your brew.

At no point should the bag be in the kettle while you are boiling.

I made hop bags out of the same nylon material and have had zero problems boiling them. I also direct heat with the bag on the bottom, again with no problems. My pot is pretty cheap, but I don't know if my electric range would be more even than a gas flame.

I made hop bags out of the same nylon material and have had zero problems boiling them. I also direct heat with the bag on the bottom, again with no problems. My pot is pretty cheap, but I don't know if my electric range would be more even than a gas flame.

Yeah, after re-reading the OP's question, I see what he was asking. I thought he was asking about the grain bag, which does not get boiled. Now I get that he is asking about boiling the hop sack, and of course that can be boiled with no problem.

The stir, stir, stir is just added emphasis for the fact that you want to stir well to rinse the grain well in the sparge water...not stir precisely three times. Cheers!

I need to make mash bags too (or find a cheap way....one reusable bag cost 22 dollars...total rip-off). What exactly do you use to make your bags of?

NOTE: I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT WILSER'S BAGS. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE BAGS THAT ARE AVAILABLE IN SPAIN.

I need to make mash bags too (or find a cheap way....one reusable bag cost 22 dollars...total rip-off). What exactly do you use to make your bags of?

My walmart sells nylon curtain panels for $8. Its a fine white mesh and there is enough to make 6-8 big BIAB bags and several small hop bags.

My walmart sells nylon curtain panels for $8. Its a fine white mesh and there is enough to make 6-8 big BIAB bags and several small hop bags.

and you sew them and make the bags of that nylon material?
If you make hops bags too....it surely stands heat perfectly. I live in Spain. I dont know where to get such material from. Thanks for the info.

and you sew them and make the bags of that nylon material?
If you make hops bags too....it surely stands heat perfectly. I live in Spain. I dont know where to get such material from. Thanks for the info.

I cut out a big rectangle the fits measurements of my pot. Fold it over and sew up the edges with standard thread making sure to use the little reverse button a few times at the beginning and the end of a run to make sure it wont come apart. I flip it inside out and just tie it shut with butchers twine... fantastically low tech and crude (I am horrible at the sewing machine) but it works great. I would definitely use the widest zig zag pattern to give the seam extra strength to withstand the squeezing. You could go over it a couple times as well if this isnt an option.

I would think any fabric store would carry the material.

http://biabbags.webs.com/
Makes excellent bags for very reasonable price. Also very durable. I use a bag made by them which comes with handles securely sown on. I use a simple pulley system to gently pull my bag out of my pot. You can use paint strainer bags, sold at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, ect. for your hop bag. Also, look up hop spider on this site, that's another simple option for keeping your hops contained in your wort. I love BIAB, best of luck on your brewing endeavers!!!!

Are you talking about wilserbrewer's bags? Because if you are, that's a seriously uncool comment toward someone who took the time to answer your question...

Are you talking about wilserbrewer's bags? Because if you are, that's a seriously uncool comment toward someone who took the time to answer your question...

I am NOT talking about his bags. I am talking about the bags they sell in Spain for 22 dollar/bag...and they cant even give you proper information on them+their customer service sucks....that's why I call their bags a total rip-off.

http://biabbags.webs.com/
Makes excellent bags for very reasonable price. Also very durable. I use a bag made by them which comes with handles securely sown on. I use a simple pulley system to gently pull my bag out of my pot. You can use paint strainer bags, sold at Wal-Mart, Lowe's, ect. for your hop bag. Also, look up hop spider on this site, that's another simple option for keeping your hops contained in your wort. I love BIAB, best of luck on your brewing endeavers!!!!

Yeah, I vote for that one. Best BIAB bag I used to date and little block just makes it so much easier

Yeah, I vote for that one. Best BIAB bag I used to date and little block just makes it so much easier

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you like the products!

..............and little block just makes it so much easier
Translation from Canadian English to American Brewspeak would be,

The ratchet pulley is the balls, works great!

Back