I still don't have it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I just did my third batch, 2.5 gallons and I still need to add over 1 gallon of water when I am done with the boil.

My first batch I boiled 2.5 gallons because I didn't know any better. I ended with a little over 1 gallon.

Next time I thought I was smarter and lowered the boil, less vigorous, and added 1 gallon of extra water and when I was done I was still over 1 gallon short.

This time I added 1.5 gallons and it was still over 1 gallon short.

It is getting warmer outside so maybe more to evaporation, or maybe I just have the boil to high. I kept trying to get it lower, it still turned out too low.

Is this to be expected? How hard should the boil be? I assume that its just the temperature that is important and a slight roll is adequate. I was a little higher then that.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Start with about 4.5 gallons of water and boil with your lid on. You should only have to add a gallon to a gallon and a half to bring your wort to 5 gallons.

Don't boil with the lid on. Gotta let the DMS get out. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS. As far as your boil, nothing wrong with adding water post boil.

With such a small amount of wort, the concentration is pretty high and I worry that all the high concentrated stuff left behind in the bottom inch that stays behind with the hot break material.

Try practicing boiling water and measuring your boil-off on your non-brew days. Assuming you are using the same kettle boil-off rates should be consistent. So it's probably how high you boil. You don't want to boil too high because you don't want boil overs but other than that I don't think/don't know that how high you boil will affect the beer. Nothing wrong with ending up with only a gallon. Although I know what you mean about not feeling comfortable with such a concentrate.

But if you always boil off at least a gallon. Then you can safely start with 3 gallons.

Back