Blichmann Quick Connector as Pickup Tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eborhtab

Reaction score
I was thinking of using a Blichmann quick connector elbow on the inside of my kettle mash tun as the pickup tube. This would attach to a weldless coupling with a nipple. I want an easy way to remove the pickup tube so that I can insert/remove my one piece false bottom. If this won't work, it looks like I would have to use either a compression fitting pickup tube or make one out of copper tubing with a union. Anybody used one of these fittings for that particular reason? Specs are in the link. Thanks.

http://www.blichmannengineering.com/quickconnect/quickconxtfitngs.html

it should work.
the nuts seem to be 1/2 strait pipe, with the gasket, they should work on a 1/2npt

I was thinking of doing the same thing but inside a boil pot. Does anyone know if the silicone is rated for boiling temps? Also, anyone know the length of the dip tube from the elbow down? Thanks.

I use these for pickup tubes in my HLT, MLT, and BK. They work great. Just remove the rubber "grip" from the connector. They slide off easy. That rubber isn't rated for high temps. I use some rubber covered pliers to attach and remove the connection for cleaning or maintenance. I found even just hand tightening them is good enough to make a seal with the inner o-ring. I used a pipe cutter to trim the tubes to the right length.

Back