Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I created an account because I'm super excited to try this beer out. I read about 30 or so pages but I don't believe I saw my 3 questions answered:

1. The 6 gallons and OG this recipe calls for, is that all pre-limeade numbers? What I mean is, I should shoot for 6 gallons and the indicated OG on brew day? Or is this recipe 6 gallons after adding the limeade..meaning I should shoot for 5.75 or so gallons on brew day?

2. How does adding the limeade affect the OG? The OG in this recipe is brewday numbers I presume...but adding limeade would increase the final ABV number by a bit.

3. What is the most efficient way of adding the limeade without splashing and introducing the least amount of oxygen as possible?

Basically I'm wondering how the limeade affects the numbers I'm shooting for.

Thanks all!

Hello I created an account because I'm super excited to try this beer out. I read about 30 or so pages but I don't believe I saw my 3 questions answered:

1. The 6 gallons and OG this recipe calls for, is that all pre-limeade numbers? What I mean is, I should shoot for 6 gallons and the indicated OG on brew day? Or is this recipe 6 gallons after adding the limeade..meaning I should shoot for 5.75 or so gallons on brew day?

2. How does adding the limeade affect the OG? The OG in this recipe is brewday numbers I presume...but adding limeade would increase the final ABV number by a bit.

3. What is the most efficient way of adding the limeade without splashing and introducing the least amount of oxygen as possible?

Thanks all!

1-og it after the boil before limeaid is added
2-.5% added from limeaid
3- just keep it sealed until ready to add limeaid. Peak off the top plastic after you shake it good. Then just pour slowly into fermenter. Don't worry about oxygen that much. Should be fine.

Thanks all!

6 Gallons total (includes limeade)....basically plan for 5.25 with a healthy starter and you should be good. The rest of your questions were answered in the email above mine.

I brewed this a couple days ago and getting ready to add the limeade, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere in Canada. There is a Target store 45min drive away but I'm not going just to check. The closest I found was limeade frozen concentrate, made by Minutemade. I assume it is close enough to Simply Limeade. Trying to decide between two options for adding it, obviously a little worried about infecting the beer.

1) Thaw the concentrate and add to carboy through a sanitized funnel.

2) Boil then cool 1.5L water, mix with the frozen concentrate in a sanitized container, then add through the funnel.

Thoughts?

baulz said:
I brewed this a couple days ago and getting ready to add the limeade, but I can't seem to buy it anywhere in Canada. There is a Target store 45min drive away but I'm not going just to check. The closest I found was limeade frozen concentrate, made by Minutemade. I assume it is close enough to Simply Limeade. Trying to decide between two options for adding it, obviously a little worried about infecting the beer.

1) Thaw the concentrate and add to carboy through a sanitized funnel.

2) Boil then cool 1.5L water, mix with the frozen concentrate in a sanitized container, then add through the funnel.

Thoughts?

I would personally go with option #2.....but be sure to cool prior to adding to wort, reason being that boiling water will raise the internal of the fermenting beer and will cause off flavors.

Slim, this might have been answered but I couldn't find it. What efficiency is your recipe calculated with? I am going to brew this soon for summer for my 3rd all grain.
Thanks, tone

bottled it about 4 days ago and did a test run tonight. This beer is really good, i threw a second one in to um...test

trapae said:
Slim, this might have been answered but I couldn't find it. What efficiency is your recipe calculated with? I am going to brew this soon for summer for my 3rd all grain.
Thanks, tone

Close to 80%....but keep in mind that when I brew I don't really focus on measuring that **** anymore....I have been brewing long enough, that I can tell a successful wort, before it turns in to a beer, with very little equipment.

Quick question. I'm sure it's been answered but I can't find it. Any secondary on this beer? Or is it good with just 3 weeks primary? If it's good with just 3 weeks primary then I may make a double batch. I'm doing one for sure just limeaid but I was wondering what you guys have found to be the best second option flavor?

No secondary needed. 2-3 weeks primary is fine.
I used the limeade which was great and I just did another batch with the lemonaide with mango and is is also agreat beer. The mango didn't show up in the end. Really no mango taste at all. But I'm gonna do it again with the lemonaide with blueberry and see how that turns out.

No secondary needed. 2-3 weeks primary is fine.
I used the limeade which was great and I just did another batch with the lemonaide with mango and is is also agreat beer. The mango didn't show up in the end. Really no mango taste at all. But I'm gonna do it again with the lemonaide with blueberry and see how that turns out.

I strayed a bit away from the original by using simply blueberry lemonade. Then I added frozen blueberries to a short, 4 day, secondary. Its in that right now, so I will post how it turns out in time. I didn't taste too much of the blueberry when I racked it, but it did taste very refreshing and lemony.

I brew a variation of the recipe (due to availability of ingredients) and it is the one brew that everyone seems to need during the summer. I also use a preservative-free raspberry lemonade. This stuff drains out of reserve very quickly. Once it is bottled, plan on starting another batch. In the dead heat of the summer, my friends and family drink this like it was, well, lemonade. It the perfect pool beer.

Thanks SD-Slim for sharing your recipe. I'm relatively new to brewing. Saw your recipe and brewed as directed with one mistake. It was awesome! In fact it was so good i actually shared one with a co-worker who is really into hefes and it was a hit!

My mistake? It was my first time using a 5 gallon bucket and i couldnt see if it was doing anything or not. After half a day with no airlock activity i assumed i had to raise the temp on the yeast til things got going. let it get too hot for a day. whew! banana smells!! so i backed the temp down for the rest of the ferment.

result? a wonderful balance of banana and clove esters with a little wheat tang and a slight lemon-lime quality.

So thanks again!:mug:

zorak1066 said:
Thanks SD-Slim for sharing your recipe. I'm relatively new to brewing. Saw your recipe and brewed as directed with one mistake. It was awesome! In fact it was so good i actually shared one with a co-worker who is really into hefes and it was a hit!

My mistake? It was my first time using a 5 gallon bucket and i couldnt see if it was doing anything or not. After half a day with no airlock activity i assumed i had to raise the temp on the yeast til things got going. let it get too hot for a day. whew! banana smells!! so i backed the temp down for the rest of the ferment.

result? a wonderful balance of banana and clove esters with a little wheat tang and a slight lemon-lime quality.

So thanks again!:mug:

The yeast for this beer is pretty forgiving and gives an amazing taste...I'm glad you liked it...when I look back at when I first started brewing, it was the beers that I completely ****ed up that made everyone say...damn that's good...since then the mad scientist in me has looked for ways to make great beers...my point, no matter if this is your first or last brew, you made something your friends enjoyed..so maybe mistakes are undiscovered perfections!

Brewed this Tuesday .. had some issues with previous batches carving in my basement as its too cold... took a shot and put this down there wrapped up in a blanket... fermentation deffinatly took off as there's a good few inches on krausen ontop.. just not " vigorous " as described before... I added the limeade last night.. hopefully its just the cooler temps

My batch is underway. It's on day 2 of brewing. It is fermenting in my bathroom with my house at about 68 degrees. I am noticing a lot of banana smelling esters coming out of my bubbler though. Is that a problem? Will I get a banana flavored beer?

shadyj said:
My batch is underway. It's on day 2 of brewing. It is fermenting in my bathroom with my house at about 68 degrees. I am noticing a lot of banana smelling esters coming out of my bubbler though. Is that a problem? Will I get a banana flavored beer?

Keep in mind that internal temps of wort are usually 5 degrees warmer than the room they are in and sometimes higher during vigorous fermentation....so manage your ferm temps with that in mind. As to smells, you won't have a banana flavored beer, but their will be hints of it....summary, relax and let it become beer!

I'm really excited about this recipe... Brewing it up this weekend. I was looking for a good summer beer, and when I saw your grain bill was identical to what I recently picked up in a group buy I knew it was meant to be. Who am I to dis the beer gods... :mug:

FermentedTed said:
I'm really excited about this recipe... Brewing it up this weekend. I was looking for a good summer beer, and when I saw your grain bill was identical to what I recently picked up in a group buy I knew it was meant to be. Who am I to dis the beer gods... :mug:

Lol...sounds like it was meant to be, I hope you enjoy it!

We're brewin' this up tomorrow... wish us luck! Can't wait to taste this stuff. Also, aprox how many limes does it take to get .5 oz of zest?

Brewed this up yesterday. Hit all the number dead on. The sample going into the fermenter tastes great. Can't wait to try the finished product.

Came in at 1.055 for 5.5 gal.
Using Wyeast 3942 yeast.
4 limes got me 7 grams of zest(no white part).

Fermentation is going good. Can't wait to add the lime aid!

To estimate final gravity do I just calc it like normal and then add .5% to account for the limeade? In my case that would be roughly 4.4% + .5% = 4.9%.

Also, anyone wash and reuse this yeast? I've never tried to wash a hefe yeast and am not sure if its worth the trouble.

GenIke said:
To estimate final gravity do I just calc it like normal and then add .5% to account for the limeade? In my case that would be roughly 4.4% + .5% = 4.9%.

Also, anyone wash and reuse this yeast? I've never tried to wash a hefe yeast and am not sure if its worth the trouble.

Your final gravity would be your final gravity....I assume you are taking this reading just before you bottle/keg, if so that reading will include the limeade. In regards to washing yeast, I do it with all my yeast and it allows me to get another 5 brews out of it before I discard and purchase a new one.

Your final gravity would be your final gravity....I assume you are taking this reading just before you bottle/keg, if so that reading will include the limeade.

Final abv is what I meant to say. How do I figure in the limeade? Just add .5 to the 4.4% for 4.9%?

Going to brew this for the first time tomorrow..I don't have any Vienna Malt any idea of what would be a good sub? I have some of the following:

2 Row
Pale
Wheat
C20
C40
Munich
Rye
Oats
Choc
Honey
Special

Thanks cant wait to drink this

WAORGANY said:
Going to brew this for the first time tomorrow..I don't have any Vienna Malt any idea of what would be a good sub? I have some of the following:

2 Row
Pale
Wheat
C20
C40
Munich
Rye
Oats
Choc
Honey
Special

Thanks cant wait to drink this

Munich is a good sub, it just will make the beer slightly darker.

Hmm, I brewed up the extract version of this recipe to the "T" following the recommendations on Fri May 3rd... OG was 1.052. Even did a starter for the liquid yeast. Fermented like crazy for the first 4-5 days. Had to put a blowoff tube in. After the first 5 days, put an "S" bubbler in place of the blowoff. Still bubbled like crazy (prob 2-3 per min), but I added the Limeade on May 15th. However, I can't get it to drop below 1.018. That's what it was on May 15th, and that's what it was Mon evening. I have maintained 72 degree temp (heat tape with a temp controller), and even tried adding yeast nutrient & energizer. Bubbles, but not dropping the SG. I realize extract typically does not dry out as much as all-grain, but I've never had a final SG this high. Most of my other extracts are in the 1.010-1.012 range before they sputter out. Thoughts?

Hmm, I brewed up the extract version of this recipe to the "T" following the recommendations on Fri May 3rd... OG was 1.052. Even did a starter for the liquid yeast. Fermented like crazy for the first 4-5 days. Had to put a blowoff tube in. After the first 5 days, put an "S" bubbler in place of the blowoff. Still bubbled like crazy (prob 2-3 per min), but I added the Limeade on May 15th. However, I can't get it to drop below 1.018. That's what it was on May 15th, and that's what it was Mon evening. I have maintained 72 degree temp (heat tape with a temp controller), and even tried adding yeast nutrient & energizer. Bubbles, but not dropping the SG. I realize extract typically does not dry out as much as all-grain, but I've never had a final SG this high. Most of my other extracts are in the 1.010-1.012 range before they sputter out. Thoughts?
You have a yeast problem...I would start with temp, 67 to 74 degrees is where you want to be, which means and external temp of 65 to get an internal temp of 70...give this 24 hours, if you see no activity then the issue is that you just got some yeast that couldnt finish the job, but they did most of it so you can just add dry yeast to be cheap or get another vial of Hef IV, but from a different source then you purchased it from...from time to time, if you order online, temps can destroy cells before the yeast arrive, so I always recommend getting the gel cooling packet with it. That should finish your beer off, but I would strongly recommend not washing and reusing this yeast once you are done with the beer...the reason being, that as yeast start to fail, they let of nasty bi-products, now your new yeast will eat all of that, but you still dont want to take the chance with the next batch.

Going to brew 10.5 gallons this Saturday. Does .50 lime zest mean 1/2 ounce? So for 10.5-11 gallons I'm looking at a full ounce of lime zest @ 5min right? Thanks SD. Hopefully this is similar to summer shandy style beers as the wife loves those.

Brewed this on Memorial Day using the exact recipe. Pitched the yeast and had decent activity about 20 hrs later. The krausen hasn't reached the blow off tube yet, but I've yet to add the Simply Lime. Fermenting at 64F....

image-3398747508.jpg

idigg said:
Going to brew 10.5 gallons this Saturday. Does .50 lime zest mean 1/2 ounce? So for 10.5-11 gallons I'm looking at a full ounce of lime zest @ 5min right? Thanks SD. Hopefully this is similar to summer shandy style beers as the wife loves those.

0.5 ounce

Back