OxyClean Versatile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollner

Reaction score
Oh man. Another dumb question from a beginner (I'm trying to move on from being a beginner).

I need some advice / help.

Basically, is OxyClean Versatile safe to soak and clean carboys and stainless steel brew kettles?

I found some OxyClean Versatile in my home. Last week I soaked a 5 gallon glass carboy with it and let it sit for too long (9 days). I noticed today when I dumped it, that where the solution was in the carboy is now all fogged. That had me very concerned. The local homebrew supply store told me that the clearn got into the glass and I should get rid of it.

I realized then the last 2 times I cleaned my brew kettle, I cleaned it with this OxyClean Versatile scrubbing burn stains as well as letting it sit for af ew days and then cleaning. I noticed yesterday that there was a cloudy or foamy or just general area where almost like the finish had been taken off. I thought at first that it's just from the boils but after noticing the carboy today and speaking with the homebrew supply store, I'm wondering if I should have not been using that all along and if I should replace my equipment.

Any feedback is appreciated. Do you guys use OxyClean as a cleaner and is it generally safe?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!!!

Andy

Oh man. Another dumb question from a beginner (I'm trying to move on from being a beginner).

I need some advice / help.

Basically, is OxyClean Versatile safe to soak and clean carboys and stainless steel brew kettles?

I found some OxyClean Versatile in my home. Last week I soaked a 5 gallon glass carboy with it and let it sit for too long (9 days). I noticed today when I dumped it, that where the solution was in the carboy is now all fogged. That had me very concerned. The local homebrew supply store told me that the clearn got into the glass and I should get rid of it.

I realized then the last 2 times I cleaned my brew kettle, I cleaned it with this OxyClean Versatile scrubbing burn stains as well as letting it sit for af ew days and then cleaning. I noticed yesterday that there was a cloudy or foamy or just general area where almost like the finish had been taken off. I thought at first that it's just from the boils but after noticing the carboy today and speaking with the homebrew supply store, I'm wondering if I should have not been using that all along and if I should replace my equipment.

Any feedback is appreciated. Do you guys use OxyClean as a cleaner and is it generally safe?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!!!

Andy

I'm pretty sure you should be using oxyclean free. It may say versatile, but it should definitely say free because you don't want the scented stuff. I just started using oxyclean free a few months ago and haven't had any issues. There's an even cheaper version at Walmart called sunclean. I got some of it and it works great too. Just rinse really well. Oh, and be careful listening to local homebrew shops, they are trying to sell you stuff, not save you money. Listen to this forum. They speak from experience.

If you have starsan try mixing up a small, strong solution of it and putting that in the carboy. Then drain it, and let it dry. It might work to remove the film on the glass. I use Oxiclean all of the time with great results.

Versatile is what I use. It is fine.

No reason to use it on you brew kettle. Just wash and wipe the kettle out.

Does it appear that the glass is now "pitted"? or could it just be a film thats on the glass? Ive heard of using acid solutions to remove it. Try heating up some white vinegar and dump it in and swirl it around, that might help.

I'm just not sure how it could have "gotten into the glass" like ur LHBS told ya.

Thanks everyone!
Pratzie - not sure what you mean by 'pitted', but yea, the glass just is all fogged up where that solution was. I'll try your vinegar solution and I'll also try the star san solution above too.

I'm lesson concerned if I have to replace equipment b/c of my stupidity, and more concerned about any health risks I incurred by using this stuff.

thanks again, EVERYONE!!!!

Andy

I use oxiclean free regularly with no problems. the "free" version has no aromatics added.

One thing I did learn using oxiclean is that you should only use 1/3 scoop per 5 gallon, maybe less. When I used a full scoop in the beginning, over time I developed a white hazy film, especially after the solution cooled. I would then have to rinse with vinegar to get rid of it.

Hey pkrath84:
Thanks - that's sort of like what happened to me....I let it sit, the solution obviously cooled over the several days and there is now this film.

Did that vinegar work? What did you do? Did you just pour some white vinegar into the carboy with some water and let it sit for a while? Please let me know.

Thank you!!!
andy

Back