Mosaic pale ale recipe. (feed back)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
first off all malts are final because they are already mixed and crushed. Hop schedual advice and possible malt additions, mash temps, etc. are all very welcome. this is for five gallons. also have citra hops available if i need to bump the ibu's. im looking for a low ibu pale ale quaffer. thanks

grain bill

us 2 row - 8.75 lbs
white wheat - 1.25 lbs
c10 - .5 lbs
honey malt - 5 oz
biscuit malt - 5 oz

hops

3oz mosaic 12.7 %aa

(thinking)
60/fwh - .25 oz
15 - .5 oz
10 - .5oz
5 - .5oz
0 - .25oz
dry hop 1 oz in keg

yeast

dry 97 american west coast yeast (never heard of it but cam highly recomended over the us -05)

other

whirlfloc - 15min
yeast nutrient 15min

I'd just do the fwh, 1 oz at 20 (20 min additions have the most flavor), .75 at flameout and the 1 oz dry hop. The staggered additions you have now will lead to a little less flavor from the limited hops you have.

Minor adjustment tho, it looks like a good beer either way.

I'd just do the fwh, 1 oz at 20 (20 min additions have the most flavor), .75 at flameout and the 1 oz dry hop. The staggered additions you have now will lead to a little less flavor from the limited hops you have.

Minor adjustment tho, it looks like a good beer either way.

I have more hops but was hoping to give my palette and lady a break from the almost medicinal hop bombs i cant stop making. What about the other '.25oz of mosaic?

0.5 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz Mosaic @ 10
1 oz Mosaic @ 5
1 oz Mosaic post flameout when the wort has been chilled to 140 degrees, for 30-40 minutes.
1 oz Citra dry hop for 5 days.

I brew a nicely balanced APA using Galaxy hops instead of the Mosaic and Citra above.

0.5 oz Magnum @ 60
1 oz Mosaic @ 10
1 oz Mosaic @ 5
1 oz Mosaic post flameout when the wort has been chilled to 140 degrees, for 30-40 minutes.
1 oz Citra dry hop for 5 days.

I brew a nicely balanced APA using Galaxy hops instead of the Mosaic and Citra above.

Do i pull my kettle out of the ice bath when it hits 140 for 30-40 mins then,start to chill again?

That is exactly how I did it. I pulled the kettle out of the ice water once it reached 140 degrees. I then added another ounce to the hop bag that was already in the kettle, gave the kettle a stir, started a timer, and left it for 40 minutes. At which point, it went back into the ice water bath and I resumed stirring the wort and the ice water.

That is exactly how I did it. I pulled the kettle out of the ice water once it reached 140 degrees. I then added another ounce to the hop bag that was already in the kettle, gave the kettle a stir, started a timer, and left it for 40 minutes. At which point, it went back into the ice water bath and I resumed stirring the wort and the ice water.

What was the effect?

I cannot tell you how this recipe would taste had I not added that ounce at 140 degrees, nor how it would taste had I done so at a different temperature, nor for a different length of time.

I chose to add that ounce at 140 degrees in order to stay below the boiling points of the various essential oils, given in the following article, in order to preserve them:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2013/01/21/late-hop-additions-and-hop-oils-in-beer-brewing/

BTW, the boiling point of Myrcene given in the above article differs substantially from that given on Wikipedia. I don't know which, if either, is correct.

I do know that the result is an American IPA that isn't too bitter, that pleasantly balances the bitterness with the malt, and which has both a pleasing hop flavor and aroma. How much of that is from the hops added to the boil, vs added to the whirlpool, vs dry-hopped isn't worth exploring, given the relative cost of an ounce of hops.

Pick a recipe and brew it. Worst case, you make beer. Potentially, you make great beer that you have to re-brew because everyone who drank it wanted more.

I have made about a dozen single hop APA's with this schedule and they're all super drinkable and fantastic:

.5 oz @60 min (Disclaimer: I almost always use Warrior for this addition, but that's just my preference. I know, it's not really "single hop" at that point, but hey. Whatever)
1 oz @ 10 min
1 oz @ flame out (I cool my wort to about 180 or so, then add the hops. Let stand for 10 or 15 min.)
2 oz dry hop for 7 days.

That is it. Ferment with something neutral like US-05 and you're all set. I've used the BRY-97 yeast with this recipe, and it is a fine choice.

Trust me on this, the simplicity is what makes it great.

It's nice to get some feed back. How about the grain bill? Im wondering if i should add a lb of base grain to even out the specialty grains. Good idea? Im aiming for something super light and with low ibu's. Im brewing monday and can change any and everything. I worry i am under the false pretense that a malty beer will "feel" lighter then its hoppier counterpart.

Don't worry about your specialty grains. They're fine, you'll have a nice light beer. Just make sure you mash low. Somewhere in the 147-151 range. How low do you want your IBUs? You said you've been drinking hop bombs, so do you want something in the pale ale range, or less than that? The hop schedule I gave you will net a drinkable beer with decent hoppiness...like 40 IBU. Scale the hops back if you want something more mellow than that.

Back