Old(er) vial of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcaniment

Reaction score
I have a vial of White Labs yeas with a best by date of 7/5/13. According to Mr. Malty, I need a 2L starter with 2 vials. I only have 1, so I did a bigger starter. Do you think this will be okay?

I think you'll be fine I've used a single vial with no Starter before with good results. Your results may vary. But I'd be Willing to bet you made good beer. Sanitation issues aside.

It can always be better right?
Nobody make the perfect beer or we'd all be cloning their recipe.

What is the OG of the intdened batch?

I usually just step up my starters if Mr. Malty says i need 2 vials. All in all i think you'll be prefectly fine.

O.G. 1.085. Mr. Malty recommended a 2L starter with 2 vials. I didn't have 2 vials, so I bumped up the starter to 3.5L. It's on the stir plate now, and everything looks normal. Thanks!

iowabrew said:
What is the OG of the intdened batch?

I usually just step up my starters if Mr. Malty says i need 2 vials. All in all i think you'll be prefectly fine.

Same here. I uses yeastcalc to figure out the step up sizes the last time Mr. Malty said two vials. Aside from some crazy krausen getting out of hand on the second step, it worked out well.

You would be better off by stepping up the starter rather than just pitching into a larger starter from the get go. I don't have all the math in front of me now but it's not a linear growth to just double the size of the starter (for example) and get double the cell growth.

At the end of the day, you'll be fine. But if you want to really nail the pitching rates in this instance you would have been better off to step it up.

I have a vial of White Labs yeas with a best by date of 7/5/13. According to Mr. Malty, I need a 2L starter with 2 vials. I only have 1, so I did a bigger starter. Do you think this will be okay?

3.5L starter for ale 1.084 with yeast dated 3April13 you will be fine.

Back