Using small amout of wheat in grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
I've been reading through some of the recipes in brewing classic styles and noticed that its not uncommon to add a small amount (half pound or so) of wheat to the grain bill (in his English IPA for example). What's the objective here? What does it contribute to the beer? I wouldn't have guessed that an English IPA has wheat in it.

Is it wheat malt or flaked/ rolled wheat? A lot of recipes add flaked wheat/ barley/ rye etc. for head retention and mouthfeel.

That makes sense. The recipe actually calls for wheat LME. Would this have the same effect?

I've never used wheat LME, but I would think it should have the same effect.

I use wheat (flaked or malted) in .5 pound amounts for head retention in quite a few beers, or flaked barley in the same amounts where I don't mind a haze (say, in a stout). It's handy, easy, and doesn't change the color of the beer.

It will be all about mouth-feel and head retention for this amount.

For the all grain version of the recipe he suggests substituting wheat malt for the LME, so I don't think he's going for flaked wheat. But I wouldn't think that 1 lb would add significant wheat flavor to the beer. What do you think?

For the all grain version of the recipe he suggests substituting wheat malt for the LME, so I don't think he's going for flaked wheat. But I wouldn't think that 1 lb would add significant wheat flavor to the beer. What do you think?

No. It's usually used for head retention and body without flavor contribution.

No. It's usually used for head retention and body without flavor contribution.

Isn't flaked wheat cheaper than wheat LME? I'm just wondering if there's some other reason behind the wheat LME that I"m missing here. My gut tells me that if he was looking for more head retention he'd just get flaked wheat, given the small amount that's needed. That said, I'm pretty new to brewing and don't really have a lot of experience to back that up.

Isn't flaked wheat cheaper than wheat LME? I'm just wondering if there's some other reason behind the wheat LME that I"m missing here. My gut tells me that if he was looking for more head retention he'd just get flaked wheat, given the small amount that's needed. That said, I'm pretty new to brewing and don't really have a lot of experience to back that up.

Well, flaked wheat needs to be mashed. so if the beer isn't a partial mash, or all grain, flaked wheat isn't a viable choice.

Latest posts

Back