Optimum Hose Sizes and Widths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

I got two of the very basic starter kits (one wine and one beer) from Midwest Supplies during their recent Father's day sale and I intend to use both for beer. However, they both came with roughly 4' of what looks like 3/8" wide hoses.

I know these are neither long enough or probably wide enough to make my brew day as efficient as possible, so I was wondering if the HBT family could provide some advice in this area.

Thanks!

What is your system and where do you use hoses on brewday?
If you are extract brewer I suppose that hoses are needed only when siphoning wort to fermentor so 3/8" is not that bad (couple of minutes more to siphon), but if you use hoses in other processes like circulating I suggest to get larger ID, like 1/2".

I have one fermenter with a barrel tap,which needs 5/8" ID hose for racking to the bottling bucket or occassional secondary. The rest have the red & white Italian spigots with a recess on the spout that takes 3/8" ID tubing. I have a fermenter stand (old large printer stand),so 4 feet is plenty for that height. Like from a fermenter on a table to the bottling bucket on the floor height-wise. I think that's what they went with when they cut it. Even bottling wands & auto siphons use 3/8" ID tubing. It seems to be the most common size.

Back