Help with Underpitched American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantheman39

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed a Honey Lager (recipe below) yesterday afternoon, and I think I underpitched my yeast. Is it too late to add more to avoid ester production, what should I do?

Per the Wyeast package instructions (and their website) I chilled the wort to 65 degrees to pitch, and then pitched a single smack-pack which had been smacked about three hours prior. I now see that I should have pitched two smack-packs. The one pack that I did pitch swelled some after being activated, but not tremendously. By comparison, my American Ale Yeast swelled to the point the package looked like it was going to burst within a couple of hours of smacking it.

I've been waiting to see signs of fermentation activity to move to 55 degrees per instructions, and just in the last few hours I have seen a few bubbles in the airlock and the liquid is almost all in the cap side (not the bung side) of the S-Style airlock. I'm going to go ahead and move it to 55 right now.

My question is, should I try to get another package of Wyeast 2035 and pitch it ASAP? Should I let it ride and hope for the best? I think I got the last pack of 2035 from my LHBS, so I may not be able to get it in the morning in which case I would have to overnight another package and it would be another day before I can add it. Is it too late by then? What should I do?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my OG ended up at 1.050... a little higher than the 1.044 called for in the recipe.

Thanks!

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP840
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.007
IBU: 17.2 IBU
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.49 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 55F
Additional Fermentation: 2-3 Weeks in bottle at 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 Weeks @ 48F
Tasting Notes: Crisp flavor with a cleean finish. Touch of honey. Just the right hop flavor.

.8 lbs. American Caramel 10°L
3.3 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
2 lbs. Rice Syrup
.5 lbs. Honey
1 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 45 min.
1 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 2 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP840 American Lager
(Subbed in Wyeast 2035 Because my LHBS doesn't carry White Labs)

Start buy heating 2.5 gallons to 150 F while steeping the grains for 30-45 minutes.
Remove the pot and add extrcts, stiring well to disolve. Return to heat and start hop schedule.
Add Honey at 45 minute mark.

Add yeast at 60F and start primary at 65-70F for 2 days to start fermentation, Then move to cool basement floor (this should be at about 55F depending on where your at in the country and what season.) for 10 Days.
Bring up to 70F for a D rest for 24-48 hours then transfer to a glass carboy and start secondary at about 48F for at least 3 weeks, 6 months would be ideal.
Prime and bottle as usual and let cellar at 65F for another 2-3 weeks and then enjoy.

Actually for 5 gallons of a 1.050 lager you'd need more like 4 packs if the yeast was super fresh. It's going to be too late to pitch more, I would just let it ride and next time do a proper starter. Also, I've only done a handful of lagers but on the advice of experienced folks here I've always pitched at proper temp rather than pitching at ale temp until visible fermentation starts. Since off flavor precursors can occur early it makes sense to me, and mine have been very clean. When pitching enough healthy yeast the fermentation seems to start pretty fast without the high temps.

Back