Grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsdm1111

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a mill so I can buy my grain in bulk. Seems to be a huge price range. I'm on a somewhat tight budget currently. Any recommendations?

I love my monster mill 3 roller. I'd say it's just like a fish tank, get the best equipment you can afford. They all basically do the same thing. A note on the MM3 though, the guy at my LHBS bought a MM3 with the base and it came cracked in the box so you should keep an eye out for that.

A lot of people use Corona mills for the cheap. I've been using a Barley Crusher for over a year now and no compliants so far. To me it was the middle of the price range and works fine for me.

How much grain you will be milling at a time will dictate somewhat the mill you buy. Some mills are way faster than others.

I love my monster mill 3 roller. I'd say it's just like a fish tank, get the best equipment you can afford. They all basically do the same thing. A note on the MM3 though, the guy at my LHBS bought a MM3 with the base and it came cracked in the box so you should keep an eye out for that.

I'm with you on the MM3. I have not had an issue or even an adjustment made in over four years. The extra $ is worth it for that reason IMO.

I also bought the Barley Crusher grain mill from NB for $130. Used it the first time today on a PM Berlin Wheat. Even with the hand crank,it went pretty quick & getting a way better crush now. It comes mounted on a base with a 7lb hopper & a crank handle. but also works with a drill. The hopper is the perfect size for partial mashes,as I use 6lbs of grains tops so far.

I have the crankandstein 2s. It works good for me! I got lucky and got a discount plus free shipping. I bought it for $75. I built my hopper and just hook a drill right up to it for milling. I can crush about 15lbs in 5 minutes

I've been using a Corona Mill for years. It's cheap, and it's always worked for me. However, it tends to shred your grain husks. I get good efficiency out of it (80-85%), but makes stuck sparges pretty common. It's also very tedious and slow to mill with. I plan on upgrading my mill soon. My LHBS seems to have a pretty decent deal on Barley Crusher mills.

I'm with you on the MM3. I have not had an issue or even an adjustment made in over four years. The extra $ is worth it for that reason IMO.

I have the MM-3 but the MM-2 is a great mill and cheaper. Don't think the MM-2 is a bad mill in any way. If I was to buy again it would be a MM-2.

I have the crankandstein 2s....

The only caveat with that 2s mill is it's not adjustable.**

I just bought a Monster Mill MM-2 without the hand-crank. Using an electric drill.

If you're a bit handy you could self-fabricate the base (HD fiberboard) and hopper (Masonite, 1/4" plywood, or sheet metal).

**Correction:
The 2s mill IS adjustable. The eccentric bearings can be punched out, turned, and punched back in.

I've been using a Corona Mill for years. It's cheap, and it's always worked for me. However, it tends to shred your grain husks. I get good efficiency out of it (80-85%), but makes stuck sparges pretty common. It's also very tedious and slow to mill with. I plan on upgrading my mill soon. My LHBS seems to have a pretty decent deal on Barley Crusher mills.

Have you tried conditioning the grain first? Give them a good spray of water and let them set for a bit. That should toughen the husks on the grain and make them less likely to shred.

IslandLizard said:
The only caveat with that 2s mill is it's not adjustable.

I just bought a Monster Mill MM-2 without the hand-crank. Using an electric drill.

If you're a bit handy you could self-fabricate the base (HD fiberboard) and hopper (Masonite, 1/4" plywood, or sheet metal).

Not sure which crankandstein 2s you have used but mine is adjustable. Just sayin. I actually stuck with the factory setting and it mills great

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Have you tried conditioning the grain first? Give them a good spray of water and let them set for a bit. That should toughen the husks on the grain and make them less likely to shred.

I haven't. With the effort required in either case, I find it easier to occasionally have to shut the valve, stir, and recirculate again.

I have the Cereal Killer from Adventures in Homebrewing. I've only used it a couple of times, but it seems like a really nice mill for the money ($110 regular price, I got it when it was on sale for $90)

I'm using the Cereal Killer as well. Only milled 1 batch so far but it was 14 lbs and with the hand crank I got through it in maybe 5-6 minutes. Using the stock settings I got 74% efficiency with it. I have already tightened it down a bit for my next batch. Can't be beat for 100 (I also go free shipping on mine as well).

I bought a cereal killer mill also. Was on sale, just under $100 w/ free shipping. I THINK the free shioppingis still on, don't quote me on that. Below is alink to a video I made about it. I have nothing but praise for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the Cereal Killer as well. Only milled 1 batch so far but it was 14 lbs and with the hand crank I got through it in maybe 5-6 minutes. Using the stock settings I got 74% efficiency with it. I have already tightened it down a bit for my next batch. Can't be beat for 100 (I also go free shipping on mine as well).

Same here! I bought this a month ago and think its a great mill for the price!

I got a MM-2 this past Christmas and really love it. Once I got the gap dialed in it really helped improve my efficiency and consistency. Plus now I'm able to get in on group grain buys and thats really helped lower my cost per batch. Buying a mill is definitely a great investment if you're going to brew on a routine basis.

I've been eyeing this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barley-mill...ill-Maltmill-Home-Brewing-grain-/140971895465

But i want to get some reviews before jumping the gun. Though it looks pretty good.

The Barley Crusher mill at NB is $130. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/barley-crusher-w-7-hopper.html Solid base & two hopper sizes,this one being 7lb size. perfect for steeping grains or partial mash amounts. Even with the hand crank,I can go through 4-6lbs of grain in no time. Stock setting of .039" is notched on the adjustment knobs too. Great crush on factory settings.

unionrdr said:
The Barley Crusher mill at NB is $130. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/barley-crusher-w-7-hopper.html Solid base & two hopper sizes,this one being 7lb size. perfect for steeping grains or partial mash amounts. Even with the hand crank,I can go through 4-6lbs of grain in no time. Stock setting of .039" is notched on the adjustment knobs too. Great crush on factory settings.

For not a lot more, the Monster Mill is substantially more rugged. Not to take away form the many fans of the BC.

Bought the MM-2, love it. I did opt for the 1/2" shaft ($15 more) so I could attach pulleys and motorize it. I don't like to hand-crank. I have the gap set at .039" and I got close to 80% eff. on the last BIAB.

You may get by OK with the small hand-crank models (i.e., Corona) if you're doing partial mash or small batches, but when you are faced with crushing 12 or more pounds of grain, you will be happy if you opted for a bigger mill.

BTW, if you get a Monster Mill, first thing to do is replace the 2 thumbscrews with 1/4-20 cap screws. My only (very minor) gripe for an otherwise outstanding mill.

MM-2
After doing extensive research, I decided the MM-2 was the better deal, at least as of 1 month ago. And it surely is rugged.

If anything, I would say adding 2 rectangular steel plates under the base where the mill's fasteners are would make for a better, more solid construction. The HD fiberboard tends to warp there, particularly on the thin edge side. I have the feeling this being an issue with most fiberboard bases.

Barley Crusher
Initially I was attracted to the Barley Crusher's price including the base and hopper. But a few months ago there was a lot of talk on the quality of their rollers, particularly the knurl being sub-standard on newly shipped items and the "lifetime warranty" being hollow when called upon. Maybe and hopefully those problems have been resolved which would return the mill to its competitive entry in the decision matrix.

Not sure which crankandstein 2s you have used but mine is adjustable. Just sayin. I actually stuck with the factory setting and it mills great

http://www.crankandstein.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Sorry about that, you are absolutely right. I was (incorrectly) under the impression the 2s's bearings were not adjustable. They are!

Looking over the documentation, it doesn't look as easy as a turning a knob, but then again, how many times would you adjust it, once you're happy with the crush?

The MM2 & 3 are prohibitively expensive for me,at $147 dollars for just the Rollers mounted in a framework. And since I only do 1 or 2 batches a month of 4-6lbs grain each,the Barley Crusher is fine.

unionrdr said:
The MM2 & 3 are prohibitively expensive for me,at $147 dollars for just the Rollers mounted in a framework. And since I only do 1 or 2 batches a month of 4-6lbs grain each,the Barley Crusher is fine.

Again, lots & lots of people use & love the Barley Crusher, but the MM-2 with base & hopper is $157.00 plus shipping.

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html

Thax for the info on the barley crusher!! I guess its a toss between the barley crusher and this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009601M4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thax for the info on the barley crusher!! I guess its a toss between the barley crusher and this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009601M4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There's an active thread for the Millar's Mill: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/reviews-millars-barley-mill-318540/. I have it and am pleased but I found that one roller is off-center resulting in an oscillating gap. Not perfect but I will send it for replacement. Good customer service and a price that cannot be beat!

I would be a little hesitant about Millars Mill only because if you look at the website overall - he's like a Ron Popeil...selling all kinds of things that he "invented". Exspresso machines, pizza ovens, malt mills...etc.

I found out that he only warranties it for 1 yr as a homebrewer, 6 months commercial. It may have "upgrades" compared to Barley Crusher or Monster Mill...with better bearings and the "pro-last" roller design which he claims adds life to the stainless steel rollers.

I don't have a mill yet...but I do know a thing about business and sales. If you are going to say we have this and that....why not back it up with a warranty then? Barley Crusher, Monster Mill, Rebel Mill....etc they all have warranties longer than the Millar Mill....BUT the Millar Mill is supposed to be better? It hasn't been out that long and they are already on the 3 version. Also people haven't had them that long to see if they last. That would be my issue in picking a mill....the others have been out for a while and all of them have pros/cons....but all of them have large customer bases too. I guess I'm just a little skeptic when they say they have the best mill available, sell it for cheap, but the warranty is only for a year vs other manufacturers who have basically an unlimited warranty. That makes we wonder if he believes in the product he is selling....that's all.

It's sort of like a brand new car or a complete redesign with a new engine...it might get great gas, more horsepower...etc but until it's been out there for a while and it's got some miles put on it - you don't know about it's reliability.

For those on really tight budgets a Corona style mill is a great option so you can get started saving with bulk grain while saving $$ for a roller mill. If you decide to switch at all. Many don't.

Back