Another 1st time kegging question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzur

Reaction score
I getting all set up for kegging...if i want to force carb "set it and forget it" at 11-12 p.s.i. am i going to need to leave the keg hooked up to the co2 for the duration of the carbonation period? (new regulator doesnt lock up so i am hoping to just apply gas till i get up to serving pressure and disconnect..)

I getting all set up for kegging...if i want to force carb "set it and forget it" at 11-12 p.s.i. am i going to need to leave the keg hooked up to the co2 for the duration of the carbonation period? (new regulator doesnt lock up so i am hoping to just apply gas till i get up to serving pressure and disconnect..)

Yes, you would have to leave it hooked up in-order to carbonate the beer. You can also use the force carbonation method if you want to do it without leaving the reg on afterwords. Here are instructions:

http://www.draftbeerinfo.com/2009/02/19/how-to-force-carbonate-your-keg-of-beer/

Thanks..i probably prime with dextrose this time so it might be ready when i get my new reg in...

This doesn't make sense. Why would you let the beer "settle" then rock it.back n forth?

Ha! You are absolutely correct. That sentence obviously got moved inside the document. I will let them know so they can fix it. Otherwise, you can just ignore that statement and if you just leave it out it will work fine.
Todd

I do this method....

- Siphon beer into keg and put in kegerator/fridge
- Set to 30psi for 24 hours (36 hours if the beer is at room temp)
- Purge keg all the way down and set to serving pressure using the chart provided above
- Enjoy 3-5 days later

I do this method....

- Purge keg all the way down and set to serving pressure using the chart provided above
- Enjoy 3-5 days later

Same here. Works like a charm

BansheeRider said:
I do this method....

- Enjoy 3-5 days later

I just tried this method this week. 72 hours later and my beer is nicely carbonated.

So using the chart above for a hef. I would just set it at 27psi for a 40 degree temp?

No. Not unless you want almost 4 vol of co2 in your beer. Most beers are under 3 vol.

Weizens carbed to style run between 3.6 and 4.5 volumes of CO2.

So using the chart above for a hef. I would just set it at 27psi for a 40 degree temp?

Yup. And then install 27 feet of 3/16" ID beer line to handle it...

Cheers!

Back