Creative solutions for boiling 5 gallons on electric coils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophacker

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a year and a half and recently upgraded my setup to all-grain with a nice 10 gallon pot and 10 gallon mash-tun.

I'm moving from a house with a glorious gas stove with an extra high output burner to an apartment with a simple electric coil stove.

I'm concerned about the time it may take my electric stove to boil 6.5 gallons . Even on my gas stove a boil usually required around 30 minutes for 6.5 gallons.

Here's a list of my limitations:
  • I cannot use a propane burner on my apartment grounds
  • I can't replace any appliance in my unit
  • I don't want to do extract brews anymore
  • I batch sparge although I'm willing to change this
  • I'd rather not scale down my volume – I have a kegerator and I'd love to keep my brew output at or near 5 gallons

With that said, I am willing to significantly modify my equipment to achieve success.

Can anyone think of a creative-or-otherwise way to successfully brew 5 gallon all-grain batches

May want to check out the electric forum. You could put the heating element in the pot directly. I have no experience with this but have seen/read alot of people using this method. Found This when just browsing.

Back