Widmer brothers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably their house Alt yeast. They treat it slightly differently to get different effects, but for blondes they seem to ferment cooler to get a lager like effect.

Typical yeast for the widmer bros is the WLP320 .. which is called an "AMERICAN HEFEWEIZEN ALE YEAST" used to produce an "Oregon style American Hefeweizen" (widmer being out of Oregon) .. the current hefe i'm drinking as I type used the WLP320, and it tastes exactly like a widmer. .. very mellow hefe, not too much clove, very little banana.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp320-american-hefeweizen-ale-yeast

Typical yeast for the widmer bros is the WLP320 .. which is called an "AMERICAN HEFEWEIZEN ALE YEAST" used to produce an "Oregon style American Hefeweizen" (widmer being out of Oregon) .. the current hefe i'm drinking as I type used the WLP320, and it tastes exactly like a widmer. .. very mellow hefe, not too much clove, very little banana.

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp320-american-hefeweizen-ale-yeast

I don't want to seem as trying to hijack this thread but I as wondering if you would be willing to share your all grain recipe version of brewing Widmer's Wheat beer? I really enjoy their wheat beer because of the very low clove and banana taste.

Honestly....I don't have a recipe yet. I went to there website and got the OG and the grains they used. Plug it into the mash pro and trial and error. Will gladly let you know when I brew mine. I am shooting for this weekend.

They use the hefe yeast in their hefeweizen, but have an alt yeast that they use for other brews, including their alt that doesn't get distributed. Are you saying they use hefeweizen yeast in a blonde?

I think pdxal is sort of right, they treat the yeast differently depending on the beer. But they don't have a Hefe strain that's different from their primary strain. Their yeast, Wyeast 1010 (wlp320 too?), is called an American Hefe, but it's really a Alt/Kolsch yeast. They use it in a lot of their beers, including the Hefeweizen, which really isn't a hefeweizen. The Widmer bros got the original yeast from Germany a long time ago from an alt/kolsch beer. So with temperature control and filtering, they change the final beers to suit the style but use the same yeast.

If you like the widmer heff this will get you close. I have brewed it a few times and have been happy with the results.

5 gallon batch

5lbs Wheat
5lbs 2-row
.75 lb munich
.5lb crystal (40)
1.5 oz tettnanger @ 60
.5 oz tettnager @15
.5 oz cascade @5
.5 oz cascade @ flame out

Ferment @ 65-68 degrees with wlp320 (widmer house strain)

Back