American Rye Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoplander

Reaction score
8oz Rice hulls
6.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb 11oz rye malt
14oz caraPils
14oz wheat malt
4.5oz crystal 40
0.75 Liberty Hops (60 minute)
0.75 Falconer's Flight (15 minute)

Yeast: safale US-05

This is the recipe I have right now. Kind of came up with it on the fly but I think the grain bill is ok. I substituted Falconer's flight in place of cascade but then stumbled across HopUnion's Zythos Blend, which I think might be really great for this. Any suggestions/comments really appreciated. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Joe

I like it, as long as you're getting enough IBUs from the liberty hops for bittering. I'd probably use some hops at flame out as well, maybe .5 ounce of falconer's flight. I've only used zythos once, and remember being "meh" about it.

I plugged the numbers into BrewSmit and it looked pretty good for the American Rye Ale style. The bitterness is going to be on the lower end--but to style. I figure you are trying to highlight the rye, instead of the hops. Now keep in mind I used Cascade because I couldn't find Falconer's or Zythos in my BrewSmith ingredients.

It shows around 1.050 OG and 18.1 IBU's. Color is pale, being in the 5.1 range.

It sounds like a good place to start.

I plugged the numbers into BrewSmit and it looked pretty good for the American Rye Ale style. The bitterness is going to be on the lower end--but to style. I figure you are trying to highlight the rye, instead of the hops. Now keep in mind I used Cascade because I couldn't find Falconer's or Zythos in my BrewSmith ingredients.

It shows around 1.050 OG and 18.1 IBU's. Color is pale, being in the 5.1 range.

It sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks. Falconer's is around 9.9% AAU, so my beersmith is putting it around 29 IBUs (you have to add falconer's) with the same OG.

I like it, as long as you're getting enough IBUs from the liberty hops for bittering. I'd probably use some hops at flame out as well, maybe .5 ounce of falconer's flight. I've only used zythos once, and remember being "meh" about it.

Thanks for the input. I may try more hops at flameout. It's ashame about the Zythos. The flavor descriptors sounded perfect for what I wanted (piney, earthy, floral) and I thought it would've went well with the rye. I still might buy an ounce and maybe throw some in at flameout, but I don't want to go overboard on IBUs.

I'm currently brewing an "ordinary bitter" with rye and A Zythos/Cascade blend. The Zythos goes very nicely with the rye. I get a lot of pine and some spice from them. In a different pale ale I got a lot of candied orange flavor from it.

I'm currently brewing an "ordinary bitter" with rye and A Zythos/Cascade blend. The Zythos goes very nicely with the rye. I get a lot of pine and some spice from them. In a different pale ale I got a lot of candied orange flavor from it.

hmmm. I think I might have to take a gamble on that Zythos then. What if I kept the Falconer's and added the Zythos at flameout? Or vice-versa?

Back